How Do You Correctly Round Decimals for Econ Homework?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ineedhelpnow
  • Start date
In summary, the person was struggling with rounding numbers for their economics homework. They needed to round 8.15342 and 6.457 to the nearest tenth of a decimal and were worried about getting it wrong. They later discovered their calculator had a rounding function and were able to successfully round the numbers to 8.2 and 6.5. The conversation then shifted to discussing the conversion of decimals to percentages and the importance of being careful with assignments.
ineedhelpnow
hi (Wave)
ok so this is very embarrassing that i have to ask this but I am doing my econ homework and i have to plot points. i need to round the numbers 8.15342 and 6.457 to the nearest tenth of a decimal. the grading system is really weird so one time itll be like no the answer is 8.1 and another time itll say its 8.2. i only have one chance left and i have to get this right. sooooo please help me...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
just found out my calculator has a rounding function...

So you're done? (Wondering)

yeah it was 0.65 and 0.82. (Nod) must be very careful on those assignments. they deduct for anything.

ineedhelpnow said:
yeah it was 0.65 and 0.82. (Nod) must be very careful on those assignments. they deduct for anything.

Surely, you mean 6.5 and 8.2? (Smoking)

oh yeah my bad. the decimal values are .65 and .82 but as percentages it would be 6.5 and 8.2

ineedhelpnow said:
oh yeah my bad. the decimal values are .65 and .82 but as percentages it would be 6.5 and 8.2

To convert decimals to percentages, you have to move the decimal point two places, since $100=10^2$.

\(\displaystyle 0.65=65\%\)

\(\displaystyle 0.82=82\%\)

well originally it was 0.065 and 0.082 but i forgot the zeros and i didnt feel like going back to fix em :eek:

ineedhelpnow said:
well originally it was 0.065 and 0.082 but i forgot the zeros and i didnt feel like going back to fix em :eek:

Okay, then all is good. (Yes)

1. What is rounding decimals?

Rounding decimals is a mathematical process in which a number is shortened to a specified number of digits. This is done by looking at the digit to the right of the desired place value and rounding up or down depending on its value.

2. Why is rounding decimals important in economics?

Rounding decimals is important in economics because it allows for easier and more accurate calculations. In economics, small differences in numbers can have a significant impact, so rounding helps to reduce errors and make data more manageable.

3. How do you round decimals to the nearest whole number?

To round decimals to the nearest whole number, look at the digit to the right of the decimal point. If it is 5 or greater, round the whole number up by 1. If it is less than 5, round the whole number down. For example, if you have 3.76, the nearest whole number would be 4.

4. Can you round decimals to a specific place value?

Yes, decimals can be rounded to a specific place value. To do this, identify the desired place value and look at the digit to the right of it. If it is 5 or greater, round the number up by 1 and replace all digits to the right with zeros. If it is less than 5, simply remove all digits to the right of the desired place value. For example, rounding 3.762 to the nearest tenth would result in 3.8.

5. How does rounding decimals affect the accuracy of data?

Rounding decimals can affect the accuracy of data by either increasing or decreasing it. When rounding, there is always a potential for rounding errors, which can accumulate and lead to less accurate data. However, rounding can also make data more manageable and easier to interpret, so it is important to consider the trade-offs when deciding whether or not to round decimals in economics.