Solved: Rounding Problem in Physics Class Homework

• Thread starter physstudent1
  • Start date
In summary, a man crossing a river with a velocity of 5m/s east relative to the river and a current of 1.1 m/s south relative to Earth takes 130 seconds to cross. To find how far south he will be from his initial starting point, the attempt at a solution involved multiplying 130 by 1.1, which resulted in 143. However, because the answer needed to be displayed in two significant figures, it was rounded to 140, which was incorrect. The correct answer was 150, indicating that there may have been a bug or incorrect entry in the online program.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

A man crossing a river has a velocity due east relative to the river at 5m/s and the current of the river is 1.1 m/s relative to Earth south. It takes him 130 seconds to cross the river. How far south of his initial starting point will the man be when he reaches his destination.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For my physics class we use an online program to enter our homework, to do this I did 130*1.1 and got 143 it says display answer in 2 sig figs so I rounded it to 140 to get 2 sig figs, however this was wrong so I entered 150 as a guess and got it correct...can somebody explain to me how 143 rounds to 150 I don't get it this isn't the first time something like this has happened with this program so I am wondering if I am doing something with sig figs wrong..?

Physics news on Phys.org
those online submissions can be very buggy or their answers can be incorrectly entered. happened a lot to me. answer looks correct. 140m

alright thanks i just wanted to make sure I wasn't messing something up

What is a rounding problem in physics class homework?

A rounding problem in physics class homework refers to a situation where the answer to a question is not a whole number and needs to be rounded to a certain decimal place. This can occur when using measurements with significant digits or when using formulas with constant values that have been rounded.

Why do rounding problems occur in physics class homework?

Rounding problems occur in physics class homework because many calculations involve measurements and constants that have been rounded to a certain number of digits. This can lead to small discrepancies in the final answer, which may need to be rounded to maintain accuracy.

How can I avoid rounding problems in my physics class homework?

To avoid rounding problems in physics class homework, it is important to use the appropriate number of significant digits throughout your calculations. It is also helpful to use the most accurate values for constants and measurements whenever possible.

What should I do if I encounter a rounding problem in my physics class homework?

If you encounter a rounding problem in your physics class homework, make sure to follow any specific instructions given by your teacher or professor. In general, you should round your answer to the appropriate number of significant digits and include any units of measurement.

Why is it important to address rounding problems in physics class homework?

Addressing rounding problems in physics class homework is important because it ensures the accuracy of your calculations and answers. Rounding errors can lead to incorrect results and may affect your overall understanding of the concepts being taught in class.