1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ROunding When Eactly 5

1. May 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm very confused as to when your supposed to add up or down when a number follows a five.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For instance, round 5.65 to 1 decimal. THe answer is 5.6, isn't this because when an even number is followed by a five you round down?

However, I was always told that 5.65 rounded to 1 decimal place is simply 5.7

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Usually, 5 is rounded up.
    In computer science, "round down everything (including .9)" is common, and "round .5 to the nearest even number" is used, too (this can reduce rounding errors later).

4. May 27, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've always rounded up when the last digit is 5-9. Thus 5.65 = 5.7. In my experience, this is customary unless a special rule is imposed for a certain situation.

There is a lengthy article here about different types of rounding:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounding

5. May 28, 2013 #4
    I've always done rounding 5 to the even number. Reasoning being that over the course of multiple rounding events you will round some up and some down thereby minimizing the skew to either direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted