Row Echelon Form Homework - Finding Mistake

In summary, the conversation is about trying to put a 3x3 matrix into row echelon form and finding the LU decomposition. The person has performed some row operations but is unsure if they made a mistake. They are trying to find the determinant of the matrix and have found a discrepancy between the determinant of the original matrix and the determinant of the upper triangular matrix. They are still unsure of what they have done wrong and are seeking clarification.
Chadlee88

Homework Statement

i'm trying to put the 3x3 matrix: [4 2 6]
[ 2 8 2]
[-1 3 1]
into row echelow from.
but i don't know where I'm goin wrong in my row operations. could some1 please tell me where i hav made the mistake.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[4 2 6] [4 2 6 ] [4 2 6]
[2 8 2] r2->r2+2r3 [0 14 4] r3-> 4r3 [0 14 4]
[-1 3 1] [-1 3 1] [-4 12 4]

r3->r3+r1 [4 2 6 ] r3->r3-r2 [4 2 6]
[0 14 4] [0 14 4] :confused:
[0 14 10 [0 0 6]

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide the second row by 14, then subtract twice the second row from the first row. Figure out the rest from there

What makes you think that that's wrong? With a few more operations you can get to I (the identity matrix) if that's what you need.

? I'm trying to find the LU decomposition so U is jst an upper triangular matrix and that's what my answer above is. and from the fact that
det(A) = det(LU) = det(L)det(U) = det(U) as det(L) = 1 the determinant of A has to be equal to the determinant of U. i worked out the determinant of A to be 84 but the determinant of U = 4((14x6)-(4x0))-2((0x6)-(4x0))+6((0x0)-(14x0)) = 4x14x6 = 336 which does not equal 84! i still dont' get what I've done wrong :(

What is row echelon form?

Row echelon form is a method used to solve systems of linear equations, where the coefficients are arranged in a specific way. In this form, the leading coefficient (the first non-zero number) in each row is to the right of the leading coefficient in the row above it, and all entries below the leading coefficient are zero.

What is the purpose of finding mistakes in row echelon form?

The purpose of finding mistakes in row echelon form is to ensure the accuracy of the solution to a system of linear equations. Mistakes in row echelon form can lead to incorrect solutions and can greatly impact the results of a scientific study or experiment.

How do I know if I have made a mistake in row echelon form?

If you have made a mistake in row echelon form, the resulting matrix will not be in the correct form. Some common mistakes include not properly reducing fractions, not performing the same operations on both sides of the equations, and not keeping track of negative signs.

What are some tips for finding mistakes in row echelon form?

One tip is to double-check your calculations and ensure that all steps are clearly written and easy to follow. Another tip is to use a calculator or computer program to assist with the calculations. It can also be helpful to have a peer or colleague review your work for any potential mistakes.

Can mistakes in row echelon form be fixed?

Yes, mistakes in row echelon form can be fixed by carefully reviewing your work and identifying where the mistake occurred. Once the mistake is identified, it can be corrected and the calculations can be redone to ensure the correct result is obtained. It is important to double-check your work after making corrections to ensure that all mistakes have been fixed.