Solving Row Echelon Form: Practicing Tips for Students

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of reducing a matrix to row echelon form and offers suggestions for practicing and avoiding mistakes. The process involves dividing the first column by the first entry, subtracting the first row multiplied by the first entry from subsequent rows, and repeating for each column until the matrix is in row echelon form.
Cpt Qwark
For some reason I just can't seem to wrap my head around the idea of reducing a Matrix to row echelon form. I'm familiar with the steps that the textbooks and tutorials use and how it's done but when I try practicing on my own I feel lost. e.g. all I end up with are just a bunch of random entries that don't bear any resemblance to row echelon form.
How would I practice better for this?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps try working a simple problem, say a two or three variable system with integer solutions, in tandem with the linear combination method? If you understand linear combination then you know the mechanics of how to reduce a matrix to ref. Often times mistakes come from the arithmetic; make sure you double check each calculation.

While it might be possible to simplify the calculations for special matrices, in general "row-reducing" is a very "mechanical" procedure.
Here is the idea with a 3 by 3 general matrix:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

I see that the "first column, first row" is "a" and I know I want "1" there so divide every number in the first column by a
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & b/a & c/a \\ d & e & f \\ g & h & i\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Now, I see that the "first column, second row" and "first column third row" are "d" and "g" respectively and I want "0" there. So subtract the first row times d from the second row and subtract the first row times g from the third row. That gives
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & b/a & c/a \\ 0 & e- bd/a & f- bd/a \\ 0 & h- bg/a & i- bg/a\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That completes the first column. Now look at the "second column, second row". It is "e- bd/a= (ae- bd)/a" and I want "1" there. So divide every number in the second row by (ae- bd/a)
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & b/a & c/a \\ 0 & 1 & \frac{af- bd}{ae- bd} \\ 0 & \frac{ah- bg}{a} & {ai- bg}{a}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
There is now [itex]\frac{ah- bg}{a}[/itex] in the "second column, third row" and we want "0" there. So subtract [itex]\frac{ah- bg}{a}[/itex] times the second row from the third row.
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 1 & b/a & c/a \\ 0 & 1 & \frac{af- bd}{ae- bd} \\ 0 & 0 & {ai- bg}{a}- \frac{ai- bg}{a}\frac{ah- bg}{a}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Start at the upper left and work down and to the right, doing one column at a time. That way, the "1"s and "0"s you already have won't be changed by further work.

Likes Cpt Qwark

1. What is row echelon form and why is it important?

Row echelon form is a way of organizing a matrix to make it easier to solve systems of linear equations. It is important because it helps to simplify complex equations and allows us to find solutions more efficiently.

2. How do I know if a matrix is in row echelon form?

A matrix is in row echelon form if it satisfies the following conditions:
1. All non-zero rows are above any rows of all zeros.
2. The leading coefficient (first non-zero element) of each non-zero row is always to the right of the leading coefficient of the row above it.
3. All entries in a column below a leading coefficient are zeros.
If a matrix meets all of these conditions, then it is in row echelon form.

3. What are some common mistakes students make when solving row echelon form?

Some common mistakes students make when solving row echelon form include:
1. Forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of an equation.
2. Not properly identifying and labeling variables.
3. Misplacing negative signs.
4. Not checking their work for errors.
To avoid these mistakes, it is important to double check your work and take your time when solving each step.

4. What are some tips for practicing row echelon form?

Some tips for practicing row echelon form include:
1. Start with simpler matrices and work your way up to more complex ones.
2. Use pencil and paper to write out each step.
3. Practice regularly to improve your skills.
4. Check your work and identify any mistakes.
5. Ask for help if you get stuck on a problem.

5. How can I apply row echelon form to real-life situations?

Row echelon form can be applied to real-life situations such as:
1. Solving systems of linear equations in physics, engineering, and other STEM fields.
2. Balancing chemical equations.
3. Optimizing resources in economics.
4. Analyzing data in statistics.
5. Finding solutions to real-world problems involving multiple variables.