1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rowboat crosses a river

1. Sep 21, 2010 #1
    A rowboat crosses a river with a velocity of 3.30 mi/h at an angle of 62.5 degrees north of west relative to the water. The river is 0.505 mi wide and carries an eastward current of 1.25 mi/h. How far upstream is the boat when it reaches the opposite shore?

Drew a staight line down in quadrant two and made a right triangle. Then: tan(62.5°) multiplied by 1.25 mi/h = 2.40 mi/h.
    Then figure the time out by distance of 0.505 mi divided by 2.40 mi/h = .210 h.
    Then figure upstream at the opposite shore by: (0.505 mi) x (.210 h) = .106 mi = 560.0 feet.

I'm confused because I have a vector pointing east and one pointing north at 62.5° north of west and I feel like I'm ignoring the east pointing vector and that I need to do something else. I don't understand WHY though.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2010 #2
    This is wrong. How can the current alone be causing you to travel faster than the speed of the current itself?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook