Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rowdy Ronda Roussey

1. Aug 27, 2015 #1
    I like MMA but I suck at math. Can someone check out these figures for me?

Mayweather's take for the Pacquiao fight is believed to be between $250 million and $275 million, but given that Rousey used $300 million, let's do the math using that number to see how much Rousey might have made from her 34-second knockout of Bethe Correia on Aug. 1 at UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro.

Dividing $300 million by the 36 minutes Mayweather was in the ring with Pacquiao works out to $8,333,333.33 per minute. Dividing that by 60 comes to $138.888.89 per second.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/the-insider/ronda-rousey-big-things-both-002250740.html?nf=1 [Broken] and estimated that Rousey made at least $5 million from the Correia fight and potentially a bit more.

So since Rousey said she makes two to three times more per second than Mayweather, multiplying $138.888.89 times two is $277,777.78. Multiplying it by three comes out to $416,666.667 per second for Rousey.

So, if you multiply those figures by 34 – the length of time of the Rousey-Correia match – Rousey is suggesting that she made at least $9,444,444.52 (at $277,777.78 dollars per second times 34 seconds) and as much as $14,166,666.68 (at $416,666.667 dollars per second times 34 seconds).

And don't miss-calculate

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article10430632.ece/alternates/w620/Rousey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2015 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Aug 27, 2015 #3
    No way, dlgoff, you're daughter looks like she can hold her own...

5. Aug 27, 2015 #4
    Since you asked...didn't somebody ask? Well, in any case, I'm going to give you my 4 point plan for raising a healthy, happy successful child.

1. (oh, and I don't have any kids yet, but if and when I do, this is going to be my policy)

1. Learn a harmony based instrument, i. e., piano or guitar. To the credit of my secondary school, we were required to learn to play a musical instrument. With the cooperation of my parents, I learned to play the "recorder," which is basically a dummied-down flute, a serial-tune instrument for the most part. I wouldn't recommend that. I had to learn the guitar at much later in my life with great and not terribly successful effort. You basically have between 3-13 to lock in "primary repertoires" as Gerald Edelman puts it; after that you're working against a "secondary repertoire" routine which is much less effective.

2. Mathematics--Again, as above, you basically have between 3 and 13 to get this right, or else you're battling against secondary repertoires.

3. Martial arts -- Same as above, if you lock these in early, your child will thank you for it later. It instills a sense of self-confidence and a measure of discipline to a level you don't really find anywhere else.

4. I forgot what 4 was.

The point, though, is that the above-based skills I mentioned are eagerly consumed by children given the right incentives, and will pay off handsomely once they leave the nest. All of these are largely left-brain exercises that can be volitionally modified. The more creative right brain talents can't really be "taught" per se. But, conditioning the left brain in the 4 points above will help with that.

6. Aug 27, 2015 #5
    http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/the-real-neuroscience-of-creativity/

7. Aug 27, 2015 #6
    Of course, the left-right brain dichotomy is a gross simplification, but an accurate one in my opinion, even withstanding the SciAM article you posted, which seems to me the work of otherwise unknown scholars trying to make a name for themselves by challenging a well-entrenched supposition.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/the-real-neuroscience-of-creativity/
    "Importantly, many of these brain regions work as a team to get the job done, and many recruit structures from both the left and right side of the brain. In recent years,evidence has accumulated suggesting that “cognition results from the dynamic interactions of distributed brain areas operating in large-scale networks.”

This really goes without saying; the fact that we have a corpus collosum means that information is distributed between both hemispheres.

The "imagination network" is a red-herring, they can't speak authoritatively on that subject.

The standard model on cortical cognition dynamics is that there is a "default-mode" (DMN) network, and a "central executive network."(CEN) The DMN comprises medially situated brain structures while the CEN comprises the more laterally situated cortical structures such as the lateral prefrontal cortex and the arcuate fasciculus connecting the language areas of the left frontal cortex to the temporal cortex. The "salience" network is largely driven by subcortical process and has little to do with hemispheric asymmetries.

8. Aug 27, 2015 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She,
    1) learned to play the trumpet while wearing braces.(no pain, no gain)
    2)took every math class the school had to offer.(can talk physics with me)
    3)began martial arts at age 8 and still at it at 24.(can kick my butt)
    4)made a father damn proud.(can't stand that she left the nest)

9. Aug 27, 2015 #8
    Sounds like a job done right! Unfortunately, the next stage is a reality television show!

10. Aug 27, 2015 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The math looks fine, but this may be more of a semantics issue than a math issue: what, exactly, did she say? Are you sure she was referring to that fight, specifically? Because on a dollars-per-second basis that may have been a less lucrative than her previous fight since it was considerably longer.

11. Aug 27, 2015 #10
    IDK, I just cut and copied that text. It was too much math for me. I DO have to say though (because I'm opinionated), that this BS over who makes more per second is embarrassingly trivial.

Nevertheless, can you work out the numbers for us, Russ:biggrin:

12. Aug 27, 2015 #11

russ_watters

No. I agree with you, so...no....Mr. OP.

13. Aug 27, 2015 #12

jedishrfu

For musical instruments, while the piano can instill a great deal of music theory, I think the guitar is a better choice.

One problem with the piano for kids is that when they get to middle school and they want to continue music they have to switch to a stringed instrument or a band instrument as there can only be one pianist on stage.

By starting with guitar you have something that fits with youth culture.

In Canada, I've heard they started kids in elementary grades with a ukulele and then they could graduate to a guitar later on. Here's one such graduate of that music school tradition:

As an aside, Ronda is an awesome fighter.

14. Aug 27, 2015 #13
    I hear you, and agree with everything you say. However, I don't think that the ukulele is a necessary pre-requisite to playing the guitar...

15. Aug 27, 2015 #14

jedishrfu

Note from been-there-done-that Dad to future Dad:

No, its not but for little kids less strings are better and chords are simpler. Some of the great Hawaiian guitarists started with ukuleles as kids notably Keola Beamer.

16. Aug 27, 2015 #15

jedishrfu

With respect to martial arts, training: Teach your kids about being duped into matches by other kids.

What I mean is some kid may be jealous of your child's skills and will try to "take them down a notch" via a sucker punch, trick maneuver like a leg sweep... or some sort of fake game like trading punches...

Tell them NEVER to fall for this scam. NEVER! Just walk away or leave the party.

Its a no win situation, someone always gets hurts or worse and it can ruin lives forever.

17. Aug 28, 2015 #16
    Is that right? I don't have kids, so I can't comment on that. However, I've been duped into street fights in the late 70's, I lived in Ventura, California at the time, and I lived in a Mexican gang run area of Ventura Avenue. I was in 4th grade. So I'd sit on the bus going home from school with these guys sitting behind me telling me they were going to get off on my stop and kick my ass. This happened to me pretty much every day. Most of the time they didn't get off at my stop, but a few times they did. And I had to fight these people.

So I remember one time these two twin brothers got off on my stop, with the expressed condition that they were going to kick my ass. It was unavoidable, I was going to have to fight these guys. Fortunately, I was in the 4th grade and these guys were in the 3rd grade, which may not seem like much, but when you're that age it makes a big difference.

So what happened, you might ask?

I got off the bus as did these brothers, and we squared off right at the bus stop on Ventura avenue. It was going down, there was no other choice. So guess what happened?

18. Aug 28, 2015 #17

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your mum came down, smacked the twins with her rolling pin and dragged you home by the ear?

19. Aug 28, 2015 #18

jedishrfu

Actually I heard a story like that where a kid was protesting something and his mom showed up and dragged him away. It was on the news a few months ago.

With respect to DiracPool's story, I suspect a big brother showed up and stopped things.

20. Aug 28, 2015 #19
    No, that's not what happened. I don't have any brothers and I was all on my own. So I squared off between these guys and I fought both of them, throwing blows.

At one point, I had one of the brothers in a headlock, and I as pounding his face into the asphalt. So his brother backed off and asked for a truce

21. Aug 28, 2015 #20
    Well, that's the glorified hero version of the the story. What actually happened was that, since I was a grade ahead of them, I overpowered one brother and basically grabbed him and swung him into his other brother. I didn't get either of them into a headlock, sorry for lying, I was a little compromised last night. Maybe I did, but I don't remember that specifically. :oldfrown:

In any case, apparently there was this older kid that got off at the stop to watch this gladiator fight who put a stop to it after I physically threw one brother into another (hey, that rhymes :oldtongue:) So that's what actually happened as far as I can remember, it was 40 some odd years ago. The headlock I think was a Jean Claude van Damn fantasy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook