Ronda Rousey's Estimated Earnings: Math Check for UFC 190 Fight

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
In summary, the author argues that the left-right brain dichotomy is a gross simplification, and that the standard model on cortical cognition dynamics is correct.
DiracPool
I like MMA but I suck at math. Can someone check out these figures for me?

Mayweather's take for the Pacquiao fight is believed to be between $250 million and $275 million, but given that Rousey used $300 million, let's do the math using that number to see how much Rousey might have made from her 34-second knockout of Bethe Correia on Aug. 1 at UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro.

Dividing $300 million by the 36 minutes Mayweather was in the ring with Pacquiao works out to $8,333,333.33 per minute. Dividing that by 60 comes to $138.888.89 per second. https://celebrity.yahoo.com/the-insider/ronda-rousey-big-things-both-002250740.html?nf=1 and estimated that Rousey made at least $5 million from the Correia fight and potentially a bit more.

So since Rousey said she makes two to three times more per second than Mayweather, multiplying $138.888.89 times two is $277,777.78. Multiplying it by three comes out to $416,666.667 per second for Rousey.
So, if you multiply those figures by 34 – the length of time of the Rousey-Correia match – Rousey is suggesting that she made at least $9,444,444.52 (at $277,777.78 dollars per second times 34 seconds) and as much as $14,166,666.68 (at $416,666.667 dollars per second times 34 seconds).

And don't miss-calculate

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article10430632.ece/alternates/w620/Rousey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
And don't miss-calculate
I'm going to have to, have a talk with my daughter about a career change. :oldwink:

0d9427_722c2926092d168884918dd62c8a450e.png

image compliments of http://www.orientalsportscenterdenver.com/

Likes jedishrfu, russ_watters, edward and 3 others
dlgoff said:
I'm going to have to, have a talk with my daughter about a career change.

No way, dlgoff, you're daughter looks like she can hold her own...

Likes dlgoff
Since you asked...didn't somebody ask? Well, in any case, I'm going to give you my 4 point plan for raising a healthy, happy successful child.

1. (oh, and I don't have any kids yet, but if and when I do, this is going to be my policy)

1. Learn a harmony based instrument, i. e., piano or guitar. To the credit of my secondary school, we were required to learn to play a musical instrument. With the cooperation of my parents, I learned to play the "recorder," which is basically a dummied-down flute, a serial-tune instrument for the most part. I wouldn't recommend that. I had to learn the guitar at much later in my life with great and not terribly successful effort. You basically have between 3-13 to lock in "primary repertoires" as Gerald Edelman puts it; after that you're working against a "secondary repertoire" routine which is much less effective.

2. Mathematics--Again, as above, you basically have between 3 and 13 to get this right, or else you're battling against secondary repertoires.

3. Martial arts -- Same as above, if you lock these in early, your child will thank you for it later. It instills a sense of self-confidence and a measure of discipline to a level you don't really find anywhere else.

4. I forgot what 4 was.

The point, though, is that the above-based skills I mentioned are eagerly consumed by children given the right incentives, and will pay off handsomely once they leave the nest. All of these are largely left-brain exercises that can be volitionally modified. The more creative right brain talents can't really be "taught" per se. But, conditioning the left brain in the 4 points above will help with that.

Likes Enigman
Of course, the left-right brain dichotomy is a gross simplification, but an accurate one in my opinion, even withstanding the SciAM article you posted, which seems to me the work of otherwise unknown scholars trying to make a name for themselves by challenging a well-entrenched supposition.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/the-real-neuroscience-of-creativity/
"Importantly, many of these brain regions work as a team to get the job done, and many recruit structures from both the left and right side of the brain. In recent years,evidence has accumulated suggesting that “cognition results from the dynamic interactions of distributed brain areas operating in large-scale networks.”

This really goes without saying; the fact that we have a corpus collosum means that information is distributed between both hemispheres.

The "imagination network" is a red-herring, they can't speak authoritatively on that subject.

The standard model on cortical cognition dynamics is that there is a "default-mode" (DMN) network, and a "central executive network."(CEN) The DMN comprises medially situated brain structures while the CEN comprises the more laterally situated cortical structures such as the lateral prefrontal cortex and the arcuate fasciculus connecting the language areas of the left frontal cortex to the temporal cortex. The "salience" network is largely driven by subcortical process and has little to do with hemispheric asymmetries.

DiracPool said:
I'm going to give you my 4 point plan for raising a healthy, happy successful child.
She,
1) learned to play the trumpet while wearing braces.(no pain, no gain)
2)took every math class the school had to offer.(can talk physics with me)
3)began martial arts at age 8 and still at it at 24.(can kick my butt)
4)made a father damn proud.(can't stand that she left the nest)

dlgoff said:
She,
1) learned to play the trumpet while wearing braces.(no pain, no gain)
2)took every math class the school had to offer.(can talk physics with me)
3)began martial arts at age 8 and still at it at 24.(can kick my butt)
4)made a father damn proud.(can't stand that she left the nest)

Sounds like a job done right! Unfortunately, the next stage is a reality television show!

Likes dlgoff
DiracPool said:
I like MMA but I suck at math. Can someone check out these figures for me?

So since Rousey said she makes two to three times more per second than Mayweather...
The math looks fine, but this may be more of a semantics issue than a math issue: what, exactly, did she say? Are you sure she was referring to that fight, specifically? Because on a dollars-per-second basis that may have been a less lucrative than her previous fight since it was considerably longer.

russ_watters said:
The math looks fine, but this may be more of a semantics issue than a math issue: what, exactly, did she say? Are you sure she was referring to that fight, specifically? Because on a dollars-per-second basis that may have been a less lucrative than her previous fight since it was considerably longer.

IDK, I just cut and copied that text. It was too much math for me. I DO have to say though (because I'm opinionated), that this BS over who makes more per second is embarrassingly trivial.

Nevertheless, can you work out the numbers for us, Russ:biggrin:

DiracPool said:
...this BS over who makes more per second is embarrassingly trivial.

Nevertheless, can you work out the numbers for us, Russ:biggrin:
No. I agree with you, so...no...Mr. OP.

Likes DiracPool
For musical instruments, while the piano can instill a great deal of music theory, I think the guitar is a better choice.

One problem with the piano for kids is that when they get to middle school and they want to continue music they have to switch to a stringed instrument or a band instrument as there can only be one pianist on stage.

By starting with guitar you have something that fits with youth culture.

In Canada, I've heard they started kids in elementary grades with a ukulele and then they could graduate to a guitar later on. Here's one such graduate of that music school tradition:

As an aside, Ronda is an awesome fighter.

Likes Silicon Waffle
jedishrfu said:
For musical instruments, while the piano can instill a great deal of music theory, I think the guitar is a better choice.

I hear you, and agree with everything you say. However, I don't think that the ukulele is a necessary pre-requisite to playing the guitar...

DiracPool said:
I hear you, and agree with everything you say. However, I don't think that the ukulele is a necessary pre-requisite to playing the guitar...

Note from been-there-done-that Dad to future Dad:

No, its not but for little kids less strings are better and chords are simpler. Some of the great Hawaiian guitarists started with ukuleles as kids notably Keola Beamer.

With respect to martial arts, training: Teach your kids about being duped into matches by other kids.

What I mean is some kid may be jealous of your child's skills and will try to "take them down a notch" via a sucker punch, trick maneuver like a leg sweep... or some sort of fake game like trading punches...

Tell them NEVER to fall for this scam. NEVER! Just walk away or leave the party.

Its a no win situation, someone always gets hurts or worse and it can ruin lives forever.

Is that right? I don't have kids, so I can't comment on that. However, I've been duped into street fights in the late 70's, I lived in Ventura, California at the time, and I lived in a Mexican gang run area of Ventura Avenue. I was in 4th grade. So I'd sit on the bus going home from school with these guys sitting behind me telling me they were going to get off on my stop and kick my ass. This happened to me pretty much every day. Most of the time they didn't get off at my stop, but a few times they did. And I had to fight these people.

So I remember one time these two twin brothers got off on my stop, with the expressed condition that they were going to kick my ass. It was unavoidable, I was going to have to fight these guys. Fortunately, I was in the 4th grade and these guys were in the 3rd grade, which may not seem like much, but when you're that age it makes a big difference.

So what happened, you might ask?

I got off the bus as did these brothers, and we squared off right at the bus stop on Ventura avenue. It was going down, there was no other choice. So guess what happened?

DiracPool said:
So guess what happened?
Your mum came down, smacked the twins with her rolling pin and dragged you home by the ear?

Likes Silicon Waffle
Bandersnatch said:
Your mum came down, smacked the twins with her rolling pin and dragged you home by the ear?

Actually I heard a story like that where a kid was protesting something and his mom showed up and dragged him away. It was on the news a few months ago.

With respect to DiracPool's story, I suspect a big brother showed up and stopped things.

jedishrfu said:
With respect to DiracPool's story, I suspect a big brother showed up and stopped things.

No, that's not what happened. I don't have any brothers and I was all on my own. So I squared off between these guys and I fought both of them, throwing blows.

At one point, I had one of the brothers in a headlock, and I as pounding his face into the asphalt. So his brother backed off and asked for a truce

Likes Silicon Waffle
DiracPool said:
At one point, I had one of the brothers in a headlock, and I as pounding his face into the asphalt. So his brother backed off and asked for a truce

Well, that's the glorified hero version of the the story. What actually happened was that, since I was a grade ahead of them, I overpowered one brother and basically grabbed him and swung him into his other brother. I didn't get either of them into a headlock, sorry for lying, I was a little compromised last night. Maybe I did, but I don't remember that specifically. :oldfrown:

In any case, apparently there was this older kid that got off at the stop to watch this gladiator fight who put a stop to it after I physically threw one brother into another (hey, that rhymes :oldtongue:) So that's what actually happened as far as I can remember, it was 40 some odd years ago. The headlock I think was a Jean Claude van Damn fantasy.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Bandersnatch said:

Not that time, but I rely on my mum to save my ass even to this day. Thanks mum!:oldsurprised:

I'm glad someone stopped it. Nowadays, someone is more likely to take a video of it and then later one of you'd be in the hospital and the other would be in Juve once the police viewed the video.

jedishrfu said:
I'm glad someone stopped it. Nowadays, someone is more likely to take a video of it and then later one of you'd be in the hospital and the other would be in Juve once the police viewed the video.

Lol. I think you're right. To be candid, I've recently been training myself to be able to take my smartphone out and start recording HD video instantly, lest I be caught up in some police brutality incident. If you want a wake up call, try googling "I filmed the cop" or something like that on youtube. These cops change their demeanor real quick once they know they're being filmed. I have a lot respect for cops and think most of them do an admirable job. My grand uncle was a NYC detective for 20 years and then a lieutenant for another 20 years. But we live in a different age now.

Police brutality is one thing but filming an incident without trying to stop it is immoral. I don't mean jump in and stop it but find some way to stop it so that you yourself don't become a victim. In some cases, you just don't know what's going to happen but a persons life could be at stake if you don't act.

We should stop here as I think I've derailed your thread.

Likes russ_watters
I have to assume a lot of the trash talk surrounding most of Rhonda's fights are 'hype', yet many of those female MMA fighters apparently have aggression issues not only before but even after the fights. Rhonda has walked away from several opponents with the same scowl exhibited prior to the fight. In contrast, the male fighters seem to usually respect each other after the fight.

All I know for sure is that after a disagreement in my home, once my wife gets riled, I am not in trouble for a single infraction but for all those past remembrances as well. How do they remember all that?

I like the portion of the prior post here regarding MMA training and mathematics. For a child lacking discipline or self worth, seems like it can be a great experience. On math, I happened to give my 7 year old nephew a large button calculator I found for $1. He and his younger sister played with that for weeks doing multiplication. Both the parents and I were astounded that a goofy little toy like that would draw so much of their attention for such an extended period of time. It even reduced the kids squabbling for a while. Who knew??

Finny said:
How do they remember all that?

They remember everything, Finny :oldwink:

Finny said:
Both the parents and I were astounded that a goofy little toy like that would draw so much of their attention for such an extended period of time. It even reduced the kids squabbling for a while. Who knew??

Try putting Scotch tape on their toes, that will keep them occupied for at least 6 hours

DiracPool said:
They remember everything, Finny

...forever...

A friend coined the phrase describing this, "collecting injustices'...

DiracPool said:
Of course, the left-right brain dichotomy is a gross simplification, but an accurate one in my opinion, even withstanding the SciAM article you posted, which seems to me the work of otherwise unknown scholars trying to make a name for themselves by challenging a well-entrenched supposition.
No one's disputing a hemispheric dichotomy. What's being disputed is the notion that creativity is a right hemisphere function. No one can seem to find any evidence to support that.

DiracPool said:
There's tons of evidence supporting that. Are you kidding? Review the hemispheric lateralization literature. You can start with these two books:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0716731118/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I can't find any digest of the book that has any assertion the right hemisphere is the creative one. Not going to read a whole book.

This author, Gazzaniga, seems to be saying the opposite of what you think he says:

But insight is just one type of creativity. Telling stories is another. One of the most fascinating insights from the split-brain studies was the way the left hemisphere made up stories to explain what the right hemisphere was up to – what Gazzaniga dubbed the “interpreter phenomenon”. For example, in one study, a patient completing a picture-matching task used their left hand (controlled by the right hemisphere) to match up a shovel with an image of a snow storm (shown only to the right hemisphere). The patient was then asked why he’d done this. But his left hemisphere (the source of speech) didn’t admit to not knowing. Instead, it confabulated, saying that he’d reached for the shovel to clear out the chicken coop (the picture shown to the left hemisphere was of a bird’s foot).

Writing an overview of the split-brain research in a 2002 article for Scientific American (http://courses.dce.harvard.edu/~phils4/splitbrain.pdf), Gazzaniga concluded, based on the interpreter phenomenon and other findings, that the left hemisphere is “inventive and interpreting”, whilst the right brain is “truthful and literal.” This seems at odds with the myth invoked by Rabbi Sacks and many others.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...rain-right-brain-myth-will-probably-never-die
Ramachandran asserts the same thing, that it is the left hemisphere that is "inventive and interpreting," that creates rationalizations out of thin air to explain things it doesn't understand. His finding is that the right hemisphere is quite literal and uncreative.

zoobyshoe said:
His finding is that the right hemisphere is quite literal and uncreative.

Well, I disagree with this. Lateralization in the human brain is most likely linked to preferred "handedness." This doesn't seem to be a property of nonhuman mammalian brains in general. The left brain is where language is processed in the majority of humans, particularly right-handers, of course. Langauge doesn't begin and end with the spoken word, it really defines everything that makes us human. It's the "grammer" of the language areas that is responsible for our ability to do mathematics, to dance, to write and perform songs, to create art, to be social butterflies, and of course, to talk. The left brain is all about hierarchical sequential structuring of data manipulation. That is what it does. The right brain does not have this rigidness to it. It is freed to accommodate abstraction, which the left hemisphere may use or not use as it sees fit.

DiracPool said:
Well, I disagree with this.
You disagree with your own linked source?

Gazzaniga says the right hemisphere is "literal and truthful," not creative. And he calls the left hemisphere "inventive and interpreting," i.e. creative. Pretty much the opposite of what you claim.

So, why did you even link to that book?

zoobyshoe said:
Gazzaniga says the right hemisphere is "literal and truthful," not creative.

I don't remember Gazzaniga stating that the right hemisphere is not creative. Can you quote the statement? I don't have the book handy.

"Literal and truthful" is not mutually exclusive with creativity.From: http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/left-brain-right-brain.htm
The Right Brain

According to the left-brain, right-brain dominance theory, the right side of the brain is best at expressive and creative tasks. Some of the abilities popularly associated with the right side of the brain include:

• Recognizing faces
  • Expressing emotions
  • Music
  • Reading emotions
  • Color
  • Images
  • Intuition
  • Creativity
The Left Brain

The left-side of the brain is considered to be adept at tasks that involve logic, language, and analytical thinking. The left-brain is described as being better at:

• Language
  • Logic
  • Critical thinking
  • Numbers
  • Reasoning
What's the purpose in challenging this classical reasoning? Even though the authors of this article do What's it going to tell you? As I've said in many posts before, if you're looking for an anomaly in whatever pursuit you're after, you're likely to find one. So the contemporary "vogue" in neuroscience may be to challenge the left-brain right-brain dichotomy. In the old days, guys like Roger Sperry, Norman Geshwind, and yes, Michael Gazzaniga just told it as it is, and didn't pull any punches. These days, everybody wants to play it safe and dilute everything.

The bottom line is that language functions are lateralized (in most people) to the left side of the brain. The left brain functions as the analytical, hierarchical sequential processor of information. The right brain is not under such constraint. So it is free to wax abstraction. Does that mean that the left hemisphere in no way participates in the creative process? Of course not. This is splitting hairs. If you sever the corpus collosum, the left brain can talk to you, the right brain can't. You can inject anesthesia selectively into the left or right hemisphere and shut it down. What do you get? You get a left brain that can talk to you and a right brain that can't.

Again, as I said in an earlier post, challenging a standard dogma is a popular attraction to neophytes in a field trying to make a name for themselves. But sometimes the classical dogma is accurate, as it is in this case

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle