Ronda Rousey's Estimated Earnings: Math Check for UFC 190 Fight

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
In summary, the author argues that the left-right brain dichotomy is a gross simplification, and that the standard model on cortical cognition dynamics is correct.
DiracPool said:
Again, as I said in an earlier post, challenging a standard dogma is a popular attraction to neophytes in a field trying to make a name for themselves. But sometimes the classical dogma is accurate, as it is in this case
I need you to link me to papers that establish with brain scans that "creativity" is lateralized to the right hemisphere. Because the fact seems to be that brain scans of people engaged in "creative" mental activities demonstrate the use of both hemispheres. That is certainly sufficient reason to challenge the dogma.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a couple studies for you:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4026701/
"...alpha synchronization at parietal sites of the right hemisphere seems to play an important role in creating ideas with high originality. In previous studies, stronger alpha synchronization at right parietal sites was found in higher creative individuals compared to less creative individuals."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26150204
"Both cortical volume and thickness of the right precuneus were positively associated with individual verbal creativity and its dimensions. Moreover, originality was negatively correlated with functional homogeneity in the left superior frontal gyrus and positively correlated with functional homogeneity in the right occipito-temporal gyrus."

I can find many more studies, but as I stated in an earlier post, you will probably find what you are searching for.

Likes Silicon Waffle
zoobyshoe said:
I need you to link me to papers that establish with brain scans that "creativity" is lateralized to the right hemisphere. Because the fact seems to be that brain scans of people engaged in "creative" mental activities demonstrate the use of both hemispheres. That is certainly sufficient reason to challenge the dogma.

See above.

DiracPool said:
Here's a couple studies for you:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4026701/
"...alpha synchronization at parietal sites of the right hemisphere seems to play an important role in creating ideas with high originality. In previous studies, stronger alpha synchronization at right parietal sites was found in higher creative individuals compared to less creative individuals."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26150204
"Both cortical volume and thickness of the right precuneus were positively associated with individual verbal creativity and its dimensions. Moreover, originality was negatively correlated with functional homogeneity in the left superior frontal gyrus and positively correlated with functional homogeneity in the right occipito-temporal gyrus."

I can find many more studies, but as I stated in an earlier post, you will probably find what you are searching for.
These two studies are good. The more you have the more it will make your case. What you have to convince me (or anyone) of is the existence of "creative, right brained" individuals.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Astronuc said:
Ronda Rousey responds to Marine who asked her to Marine Corps Ball

From the article Astronuc posted: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...d-her-to-marine-corps-ball-020246744-mma.html"They say if you’re looking for a date, your best bet is to ask 100 girls out because even if 99 say no, all you need is that special one to say yes."

Sounds good on paper. I used to take this to heart and use it out "in the field" at the local bars. What actually ended up happening, though, is that I would ask only one girl for her phone number and get rejected so I could be re-assured that I was a loser" :redface:

Astronuc said:

"after a cameo in last year’s The Expendables 3.."

She had much more than a cameo in this movie. She was in a large number of scenes and seemed to have as much of a role as any of the other celebrity "extras."

"appearing in Furious 7"

She was in this movie? I don't remember that. That was probably before I became aware of her celebrity MMA status, though, would be my guess.

Rousey won't be so rowdy for a while.

Holly Holm shocked the world on Saturday night as she landed a vicious second-round head kick knockout over Ronda Rousey ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mma/holly-holm-shocks-the-world-with-head-kick-ko-over-ronda-rousey/ar-BBn0L38

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like some of the criticism here was spot-on: she faced a boxer and couldn't get her submission hold on, so the boxer pummeled her.

Likes dlgoff and Silicon Waffle
russ_watters said:
Looks like some of the criticism here was spot-on: she faced a boxer and couldn't get her submission hold on, so the boxer pummeled her.

This re-post by Joe Rogan sums it up pretty well imo:

"Confidence, Hubris and the Frail Veil of Invincibility"

The fantasy = Last night, the World of MMA saw its biggest upset, the invincible, unbeatable, Phenomenal Ronda Rousey was KO'd in spectacular fashion... The world is upside down.
The Reality = somebody with holes in their stand up game lost a prize fight... Happens 50% of the time... 100% of the time.
Guess what? Sunday Came, life goes on. Last night the better prepared fighter won... As she should have...End of Story.

The public reaction of Shock, Awe, Joy, Anger, and Hateful speech is what really led me to post my thoughts.
As humans...one of the only things we love more then worshiping our Heroes and idols ... Is tearing them down So if there is something to learn from... its this ... there is a fine line between "Confidence and Hubris" and NO ONE is invincible... if you fight quality competition long enough you will eventually lose a fight for whatever reason; lack of proper preparation, bad decision, injury, bad style match up, you get caught, your sick, simply a bad day, doesn't matter... In sport somebody loses every single day.

I have been criticized in the past for being too honest with my fighters, for openly talking about the realities of the very real potential that they could lose a fight... for fear that just simply talking about losing will make it a reality.
I've had fighters tell me "that's my belt" or I am going to do this "after I win"... As a coach this bothers me because that's not your belt, you have to fight 5 hard rounds to win that belt. After you do that THEN its your belt. Tell me what you will do after you win... After you actually win ... For me NOTHING is ever guaranteed and to simply play silly word games to bolster your confidence is a sign of weakness... How about I want to win that belt or if I win, This is reality.

Anything else is absolutely ridiculous... if you are so mentally weak that you need to pretend you are invincible eventually it will catch up with you... The truly strong warrior accepts the potential of loss or death and fights anyway

russ_watters said:
... the boxer pummeled her.
From some of the "high light" videos I've seen, Holm has a punch to die for; literally.