RPI vs U of Roc: Which Has Better Physics Undergrad Program?

• Thread starter jlarkin
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has been accepted to both RPI and University of Rochester with similar financial packages. They are seeking advice on which school has the better undergraduate program in physics, taking into account academics and research opportunities. The speaker is a senior in Physics at RPI and recommends the school for its good courses and easy access to research experience. They also mention the positive aspects of the location, including a good bar scene and nearby hiking opportunities. The speaker also notes that many seniors at RPI have been accepted into graduate school.
jlarkin
I have been accepted to both RPI and University of Rochester with similar financial packages. I have been given a lot of advice based on things like RPI's location, which is not ideal, and its male to female ratio, which is not ideal either.

However, I would like to know which one has the better undergraduate program in physics. They seem pretty equal to me, but I noticed that RPI is not doing REU in 2013. Is this a bad sign? I will want to go to graduate school for physics. Taking that into account, based purely on academics and research opportunities, which would you recommend and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a senior in Physics at RPI. I can say that the courses here are pretty good, and you'll definitely leave here with a good education in physics. A big plus side of RPI is that it's extremely easy to get research experience here with professors, which I recommend you do starting your sophomore year.

Also, Troy isn't really that bad. The bar scene is actually really good here, and if you own a car you can easily go up to Saratoga which is really nice, or we're three hours away from New York City for longer trips. Also if you want to get away from the cities, there's a ton of good hiking around here and it's only about an hour's drive to the Adirondacks or the Catskill Mountains.

I can also say that the clubs at RPI are pretty damn good, and you shouldn't have trouble finding one that overlaps with your own interests.

And by the way, I got into graduate school and I know a lot of other seniors who did as well.

1. What is the difference in curriculum between RPI and U of Roc's physics undergraduate programs?

The curriculum for physics undergraduate programs at RPI and U of Roc are fairly similar. Both universities offer a broad range of courses covering topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. However, RPI may have a stronger focus on engineering and applied physics, while U of Roc may have a stronger focus on theoretical and computational physics.

2. Which university has a better reputation in the field of physics?

Both RPI and U of Roc are well-respected universities in the field of physics. RPI has a long history of producing successful graduates in the field, while U of Roc has a strong research program and collaborations with top institutions. Ultimately, the reputation of a university in the field of physics may vary depending on the specific subfield or area of research.

3. What opportunities are available for undergraduate research at RPI and U of Roc?

Both universities offer opportunities for undergraduate research in physics. RPI has a dedicated undergraduate research program and students can work with faculty on projects in various areas of physics. U of Roc also has a strong research program and students can participate in research through independent study courses or by joining a research group.

4. How do the facilities and resources compare between RPI and U of Roc for physics undergraduates?

RPI and U of Roc both have well-equipped facilities and resources for physics undergraduates. Both universities have state-of-the-art laboratories and equipment for conducting experiments and research. Additionally, both universities offer access to libraries, online resources, and study spaces for students to enhance their learning experience.

5. What are the job prospects for graduates of RPI and U of Roc's physics undergraduate programs?

Graduates of both RPI and U of Roc's physics undergraduate programs have excellent job prospects. Physics is a versatile degree that can lead to careers in various industries, including research, engineering, finance, and education. Both universities have strong alumni networks and career services that can help students find job opportunities after graduation.