Solve RPM Homework Problem: Centripetal Acceleration & Radius

In summary, a centrifuge is a device used in medical laboratories to separate blood cells by rotating a sample at a high speed. If the sample has a centripetal acceleration 7.80 x 10^3 times larger than the acceleration due to gravity, and is located at a radius of 8.00 cm from the axis of rotation, the sample is making 0.0001 revolutions per minute.
Doug Desatnik
A centrifuge is a device in which a small container of material is rotated at a high speed on a circular path. Such a device is used in medical laboratories, for instance, to cause the more dense red blood cells to settle through the less dense blood serum and collect at the bottom of the container. Suppose the centripetal acceleration of the sample is 7.80 x 10^3 times as large as the acceleration due to gravity. How many revolutions per minute is the sample making, if it is located at a radius of 8.00 cm from the axis of rotation?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suppose the centripetal acceleration of the sample is 7.80 x 10^3 times as large as the acceleration due to gravity.

Question 1
Does this simply mean that the centripetal force is 7.8x10^3 x 9.80? IF so then 7.8x10^3 x 9.80 = 76400.

Question 2
I worked through the solution but the answer I get doesn't seem right to me. Can somebody maybe please point out where it is that I went wrong?

1. First I found the velocity

[tex]Ac=V^2/r[\tex] --> [tex]76400=V^2/.08[\tex] --> [tex]v=78.20 m/s[\tex]

2. Then I used the following equation

[tex]V=2\Pir/T[\tex] --> [tex]78.20=(2)(3.14)(.08)/T[\tex] --> [tex]T=.006s[\tex] --> [tex].0001 RPM[\tex]

.0001 Revolutions per Minute just seems incorrect for some reason :)

Sorry for the screwy latex code, I must be doing something wrong here to ...

Thanks in advance for the help!

- Doug

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LaTeX: your [\tex] should be forward slash.

You've interpreted a time T directly as a circular rate. Wrong. T is the time of one cycle. So How many cycles per second?

Last edited:

Hi Doug,

To solve this problem, we first need to understand what is meant by "centripetal acceleration of the sample is 7.80 x 10^3 times as large as the acceleration due to gravity." This means that the centripetal acceleration (Ac) is 7.80 x 10^3 times the acceleration due to gravity (g). In other words, Ac = 7.80 x 10^3 * g.

Now, let's use the formula for centripetal acceleration: Ac = V^2/r, where V is the velocity and r is the radius. We can rewrite this as V = √(Ac * r). Plugging in the given values, we get:

V = √(7.80 x 10^3 * 9.80 * 0.08) = 78.20 m/s

Using the formula for velocity in circular motion, V = 2πr/T, where T is the period (time for one revolution), we can solve for T:

T = (2π * 0.08) / 78.20 = 0.016 s

Finally, we can convert this period to revolutions per minute (RPM):

T = 0.016 s = 0.016/60 min = 0.000267 min

Therefore, the sample is making 0.000267 RPM or approximately 0.0003 RPM.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Keep in mind that the answer may seem small because the radius is in centimeters and the acceleration is in terms of g, which is a very small value. But the calculations are correct and the answer is in fact very low, indicating that the sample is rotating at a slow speed.

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is given by the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How do you calculate the centripetal acceleration?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle. You can also calculate it by dividing the square of the speed of the object by the radius of the circle.

3. What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circular path, while centrifugal acceleration is the apparent outward acceleration experienced by an object due to its circular motion. Centrifugal acceleration is a result of inertia, and it is not a true acceleration.

4. How does the radius affect the centripetal acceleration?

The centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the speed of the object and inversely proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that a smaller radius will result in a larger centripetal acceleration, while a larger radius will result in a smaller centripetal acceleration.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-life application of centripetal acceleration?

A popular example of centripetal acceleration is the motion of a car going around a curve. The car experiences a centripetal acceleration towards the center of the curve, keeping it in its circular path. Another example is the motion of a satellite orbiting around the Earth.