Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RPM of erector set motor?

1. Aug 12, 2013 #1
    This is a really dumb question that I have not found an answer for.

I recently bought an erector set with a 3-6 volt motor. It has the option of 2 or 4 AA batteries.

I am trying to figure out what the RPM's are with 4 AA batteries for a small hobby project of mine.

I know this is simple stupid for some, but can someone give me an educated guess as to what the RPM's most likely are?

Thanks very much. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2013 #2
    Does anyone have an educated guess or a method for me to figure this?

4. Aug 14, 2013 #3
    I have googled the crap out of this and am having 0 luck. I just need a decent guestamate. The exact number isn't important at this time. I'm building a little project and want to limit the final RPM to around 12000.

I cant for the life of me figure out a method to gathering this info. Please help. lol

5. Aug 15, 2013 #4

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

6. Aug 15, 2013 #5
  7. Aug 15, 2013 #6

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

You may measure the "no load" rpm of the motor with various voltages applied.
    The motor rpm will depend on two variables: the applied voltage, as you know, and
    the load the motor is driving. A "heavy" load will slow your motor greatly; too large a load would cause it to stall.

8. Sep 23, 2015 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook