1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RRSP problem Plz help me

1. Mar 18, 2005 #1
    RRSP problem Plz help me !!

Stacey bought a $1000 RRSP today. After one year she will add $2500. By the end of the second year, the money will be grown to $3851 as it earned interest over time. What was the interest rate?

a)Apply the compound interest formula to both $1000 and $2500 investments. Assume that interest is compounded annually at the rate i, to grow to $3851 to get:

[tex]1000(1+i)^2 +2500(1+i)=3851 [/tex]

I dont have to do anything in this part right there is nothing they have already applied the compound interest formula to both $1000 and $2500

b)If this equation is written as [tex]1000x^2 +2500x -3851=0 [tex] what does x represent?
    I think it represents the interest plus 1 is this correct? Is there a better way to answer this question

c)Use the quadratic formula and your calculator to solve for x and i.

Ok I will use the quadratic formula to solve for x and I will get two values then I will subtract make x=(1+i)^2 and solve for i there will be two interest rates and two values for x is this correct? The amount I will get for i will it be in percent ?

d)There are two solutions to the quadratic equation . Which one would you choose? Why?
    The positive one because interest can't be negative, im not too sure.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2005 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x=1+i, no square on the right side. What value do you get for i? Does it look like a percent?

Why the doubt? Would 1+i being negative many any sense at all?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?