1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rs complement

1. Sep 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let me check my understanding of what a twos complement

when you use the rs complement system that means you use that system to express negative numbers only; in order to express the rs complement of a number you take r^n - that number; however if the number you want to express is positive then you do not really use the twos complement system, so it is somewhat of a misnomer.

I mean that even if we are working in the two's complement system and we want to express 5 we do not take r^n - 5,we just write 5

does all that make sense

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2007 #2
    r's complement

r's complement is a way to express negation in a given radix r, when the number of available digits is limited to n-1.

So, by obtaining r's complement, you're really obtaining a negative number.

So, obviously, it doesn't apply to positive numbers unless you want to turn them negative :)

A complement, in given radix, always behaves as a negative number as long as the number of digits you're considering is less than n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?