RTG Plans needed.

russ_watters said:
I heard once that tritium is the most expensive substance on earth (not sure if that includes anti-matter or not).

It was very expensive at one time, over one trillion dolloars for one gram from what I have read. After the Savannah River plant started producing it, the price dropped.

Lord Flasheart said:
Well, you/I can either run a watch company, a nuclear power plant, or a particle accelerator. All these methods would require loads of money, which is a bummer for broke scientists.

However, I have heard of radioisotopes in the mid-western North American mountains. Perhaps you/I could privately make one using the small amounts in the mounts for the homemade RTGs.

i suspect that if you were to actually pursue this, you will wind up in jail.

and given that this is an internet forum undoubtably "watched", you would probably deserve it for your foolishness anyway (no offense).

Last edited:
Pursue it? Hah! I'd need to have access to nuclear facilities, not to mention ludicrous amounts of money. I started this topic more than a year ago, in a time when I was naive and didn't understand how complicated such a device was. I'm surprised this topic is still going strong, despite my long faltered interest in RTGs.

Like Russ said, I'd need millions of those photo-electric signs just to get any decent wattage, and even then it'd be so impractical that it wouldn't be worth clobbering them together in the first place. As you both mentioned, it would not be in my best interest to have that much tritium.

I gave up this endeavor long ago, not only due to my lack of expertise in radioactivity, but the dangers involved. I have no intention of ending up like that Radioactive Boy Scout, no sir-eee.

quetzalcoatl9, I take no offense! I was obviously being a bit of a nitwit for seeking out radioactive isotopes anyway. Maturity has cured me, thankfully. :smile:

lord flash,

i'm glad to hear that :smile:

if this kind of stuff does still interest you, i'm sure there are research groups at a university near you looking for students/workers. you would then have the proper setting & expertise, and get to do this kind of research at no cost to you.