1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rth for a circuit

1. Dec 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi,

I am trying to find Rth for this circuit but Im not sure if I've got it right, could someone give a hand?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think R3 can be omitted and R1, 2, and 4 are in series so the answer is 10k Ohms as R5 is in parallel to what was the power source (now a wire) can be omitted as well?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

R3 cannot be omitted as there is no path from A to B that can avoid it.

What's the procedure for finding the Thevenin resistance of a circuit?

4. Dec 16, 2014 #3
    Really? I thought that when Vt has been replaced by a wire (as you do to fine Rth) then all the current can go through the new wire instead?

5. Dec 16, 2014 #4

gneill

Inject a current at A and show how it can get to B without passing through R3. Shorting the voltage supply (replacing with a wire) does not make a difference there. It does, however, let you eliminate another resistance...

6. Dec 16, 2014 #5
    Oh sorry, I'm getting confused with R5. (You can get rid of R5 can't you?)

7. Dec 16, 2014 #6

gneill

Yup. Suppressing the voltage source shorts out R5, so their combined resistance is 0 Ohms.

8. Dec 16, 2014 #7
    So then R1 and R4 are in series and that pair is in parallel to R2. That whole combination is then in series with R3 to make Rth 5.4 k Ohms? :)

9. Dec 16, 2014 #8

gneill

Yes! :approve:

10. Dec 16, 2014 #9
    Yay! Thanks very much! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted