1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rubber band thermodynamics

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem: Suppose a rubber band obeys the equation of state: L = f (b/T), where L is length, f is tension, b is a constant, and T is temperature. For this rubber band, determine (δCL/δL)T, i.e. the change in the constant length heat capacity with length at constant temperature. You should be able to determine this using the following Maxwell Relation: (δf/δT)L = - (δS/δL)T, where S is the entropy

2. equations: dS = [(δS/δL)T]dL + [(δS/δT)L]dT
    The constant length heat capacity, CL = T[(δS/δT)L]

3. Attempt: since L = f (b/T), TL = fb, and d(TL) = d(fb). b is constant, and hold L constant and use chain rule to get LdT = bdf. This implies that (δf/δT)L = L/b. Using the Maxwell relation, this implies that L/b = - (δS/δL)T. Also, using the equation of state, L/b = f/T, so - (δS/δL)T = f/T also. As mentioned above, dS = [(δS/δL)T]dL + [(δS/δT)L]dT. [(δS/δL)T] = - f/T, and [(δS/δT)L] is the constant length heat capacity divided by T, [CL]/T. Since dS is an exact differential, another Maxwell relation results from this: [(δ[[CL]/T]/δL)[SUB]T] = -[(δ(f/T)/δT)[SUB]L]. Using the chain rule, I got that (δC[SUB]L/δL)[SUB]T = f/T - 1

I hope this is clear enough. Let me know if I need to clarify anything. Second opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks[/SUB][/SUB][/SUB][/SUB]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Isn't

[tex]-\left(\frac{\partial(f/T)}{\partial T}\right)_L=-\left(\frac{\partial(L/b)}{\partial T}\right)_L[/tex]

equal to zero? And since you have this as equal to

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial(C_L/T)}{\partial L}\right)_T=\frac{1}{T}\left(\frac{\partial C_L}{\partial L}\right)_T[/tex]

would the change in the constant-length heat capacity with length at constant temperature also be zero?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook