Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rubbish and the mob

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

http://uk.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=73907&videoChannel=75

Jan. 7 - Violence has flared in the Italian city of Naples between police and protesters over the city's mounting trash crisis.

The Italian government is holding an emergency meeting to try and resolve a crisis over rubbish in Naples which has almost brought the city to a standstill. But efforts to solve the trash emergency, which has dogged the region for 14 years, has been complicated by organised crime, heavily involved in the lucrative waste disposal industry. Mafia-controlled waste disposal -- by burial or burning -- has poisoned the environment so badly that cancer rates in parts of Campania are well above the national average.

I knew the mob were into most things but rubbish!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Meadow Soprano: Are you in the Mafia?
    Tony Soprano: I'm in the waste management business. Everybody immediately assumes you're mobbed up. It's a stereotype. And it's offensive. And you're the last person I would want to perpetuate it... There is no Mafia

As far as I know the mob has been into "waste management" from day one, and that is true in Italy as well as everywhere else there is organized crime.

4. Jan 7, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Oh, yes! And not just in Italy. It has to be hauled away, or it can cripple a city, giving tremendous leverage to the people who have the capability to shut down the collection/disposal process.

5. Jan 7, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Trash and cement, two mainstays of the Mafia.

6. Jan 7, 2008 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Don't forget excavation, sand, gravel, and asphalt paving. I had an Italian girl-friend from Long Island for a time whose family was VERY big in these.

7. Jan 7, 2008 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I liked their debut album, and their follow-up was even better. It was the third album that sounded more like a typical "sophomore slump," with one outstanding song, a few ok, and the rest just filler. But when they started using violins in their back-up music (in the fourth album) I knew they were finished. Sure enough, internal bickering, musical differences broke the band up. It didn't help that the singer "Mac" acted like a disinterested dead fish in all their videos (all but the one used for "URGH," that was fantastic!). Wierdly, they regrouped for another album after 20 years apart, but it's just this side of pathetic.

Excuse me, I think I was actually talking about Echo and the Bunnymen.

8. Jan 7, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Are you sure that you're not thinking of Crunchy Frog? Their county/blues repertoire was derived from their aversion to rock after losing a series of drummers to accidents/overdoses, etc. Eventually, they hired a drummer whose day-job is mail-carrier, and he's still alive. I fear for him, though, because the lead guitarist is heavily into Marshall amps, and I have been supplying him with vintage tubes to fine-tune his tone. If he wanders back into heavy rock, the drummer is toast.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  9. Jan 7, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

A guy i worked for in Italy was said to own a brothel and a vinyard on top of half a dozen factories, he all ways paid in cash, nice guy but every one seemed nervous around him, i
    liked him even when he won a bet about who was going to win the F1 race, of couse he backed MS.

10. Jan 7, 2008 #9

mheslep

Gold Member

Here's Rubbish himself doing the classic cover.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?