Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rube Golberg Project

1. Feb 23, 2004 #1
    Hello out there i am in 1st year university and I must build a Rube Golberg machine that must tranfer a cup of water 5cm up and 10 cm horizantal. For those who dont know what a Rube Golberg machine is, it is a machine thats takes you trough a bunch of (useless) steps to get to one main goal. The more steps the better. No electricity is allowed from outlets, however you may use batteries.

Please help me asap, i need to hand in an idea soon. I try to help out as many peopel as I can and the return favour would be geratly appreciated thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2004 #2
    If you're absolutely desparate to get something that'll move a cup 5cm up and 10cm to the side, just put the cup on a platform and attach a counterbalance to the platform with enough potential energy to raise it 5cm and 10cm to the side. A bottle of water would work. String the counterbalance across a horizontal platform in a upside-down U shape, so that one the platform reaches the top, it'll be pulled to the side.

Otherwise, it sounds like you can use whatever you could ever dream of. Just think of random things and incorporate them. There's no "correct" way of doing something like that.

cookiemonster

4. Feb 23, 2004 #3

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

5. Feb 23, 2004 #4
    Just thought I'd mention that that's an amazingly cool commercial, but I can't really believe that none of it is special effects.

cookiemonster

6. Feb 24, 2004 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It took a bunch of steps, and is stiched together in the middle (maybe you can spot where). The tires are weighted so they roll uphill, and it took a bunch of takes, but they claim to have actually done it.

7. Feb 24, 2004 #6

Cliff_J

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?