Building a Rube Golberg Machine: Ideas Needed

• Thread starter Physics Master
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, this person is in 1st year university and is trying to build a Rube Goldberg machine to transfer a cup of water up and 10 cm horizontal.
Physics Master
Hello out there i am in 1st year university and I must build a Rube Golberg machine that must tranfer a cup of water 5cm up and 10 cm horizantal. For those who don't know what a Rube Golberg machine is, it is a machine that's takes you trough a bunch of (useless) steps to get to one main goal. The more steps the better. No electricity is allowed from outlets, however you may use batteries.

Please help me asap, i need to hand in an idea soon. I try to help out as many peopel as I can and the return favour would be geratly appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're absolutely desparate to get something that'll move a cup 5cm up and 10cm to the side, just put the cup on a platform and attach a counterbalance to the platform with enough potential energy to raise it 5cm and 10cm to the side. A bottle of water would work. String the counterbalance across a horizontal platform in a upside-down U shape, so that one the platform reaches the top, it'll be pulled to the side.

Otherwise, it sounds like you can use whatever you could ever dream of. Just think of random things and incorporate them. There's no "correct" way of doing something like that.

cookiemonster

Not sure what's so hard - you just need to line up a bunch of worthless steps that fall in succession like dominoes. Here, watch a video using only Honda parts:

http://www.boardsmag.com/screeningroom/commercials/581/

And visit different websites to gather ideas, like this one:

http://www.rube-goldberg.com/html/contest.htm

Cliff

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I'd mention that that's an amazingly cool commercial, but I can't really believe that none of it is special effects.

cookiemonster

Originally posted by cookiemonster
Just thought I'd mention that that's an amazingly cool commercial, but I can't really believe that none of it is special effects.

cookiemonster

It took a bunch of steps, and is stiched together in the middle (maybe you can spot where). The tires are weighted so they roll uphill, and it took a bunch of takes, but they claim to have actually done it.

What is a Rube Goldberg machine?

A Rube Goldberg machine is a complex contraption that uses a series of mechanical devices to perform a simple task in an overly complicated way. It is named after cartoonist Rube Goldberg, known for his illustrations of elaborate and impractical machines.

How do I start building a Rube Goldberg machine?

The first step in building a Rube Goldberg machine is to come up with a simple task that you want the machine to perform. This could be something as simple as turning on a light switch or pouring a bowl of cereal. Once you have a task in mind, start brainstorming different ways to achieve it using everyday objects and materials.

What are some key elements to consider when designing a Rube Goldberg machine?

When designing a Rube Goldberg machine, it is important to consider the principles of physics, such as gravity, momentum, and potential energy. You should also think about using a variety of simple machines, such as levers, pulleys, and inclined planes, to create a chain reaction that leads to the completion of the task.

What are some common challenges when building a Rube Goldberg machine?

One of the biggest challenges when building a Rube Goldberg machine is getting all the components to work together smoothly. It can be difficult to get the timing and positioning just right for each step of the machine. Another challenge is finding the right materials and objects to use, as well as ensuring that they are sturdy enough to withstand the movements and forces of the machine.

Are there any tips for making a successful Rube Goldberg machine?

To make a successful Rube Goldberg machine, it is important to plan and test each step of the machine before putting it all together. You may also want to incorporate some unexpected or humorous elements to make your machine more entertaining. Additionally, it can be helpful to work with a team of people who can bring different ideas and skills to the project.