Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rube goldberg machine?

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1
    hey everybody, I have a project due in a couple weeks, and I have to make a Rube Goldberg machine. can someone give me tips on how to make a simple one? it has to include levers and pulleys.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2007 #2
    What do you want this machine to accomplish? Levers and pulleys, is that ALL? I think you need to decide on at least what you want your machine to accomplish, and then work from there.
  4. Mar 15, 2007 #3
    there are some cool videos online to give you an idea of what you can do.

I think you should make a machine like in family guy that "makes breakfast":biggrin:

Here are a few links to videos(video links contain no foul language or innapropriate images):

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Mar 15, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Mar 15, 2007 #5
    oh,i forgot to include wheels and axles, inclined planes, wedges, and screws
  7. Mar 16, 2007 #6

Gold Member

If it's simple, it isn't a Rube Goldberg device. That's the whole point.
  8. Mar 16, 2007 #7
    Allright, i have everything except the screw. can someone give me an idea about what to do with a screw? im trying to dunk a cookie into a glass of milk.
  9. Mar 17, 2007 #8
    i saw this dispenser for cereal where you turned a handle, and it rotated a screw. The screw would move the cereal forward in it's threads and drop it out of an opening (does this make any sense??)maybe use something like this, except it could be powered by a water wheel or something like that
  10. Mar 17, 2007 #9
    If you have a bunch of screws together on a slightly inclined plane, you can have something hit the head of the first screw. That screw would circle around down the plane and hit the second screw, and it would be like a domino effect. The last screw could then do something cool, like hit two metal stubs to activate a battery which powers a fan to continue.

I wish I had fun assignments like this in my school!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?