Build Your Own Rube Goldberg Machine: Ideas & Inspiration

In summary, the conversation discusses ideas for creating a Rube Goldberg Machine, which is a complex and unnecessary contraption designed to perform a simple task. One person suggests using everyday tasks as inspiration, while another mentions an interesting way to wake up a cat. The conversation also touches on the concept of quantum indeterminacy and its potential role in the Rube Goldberg Machine.
rctrackstar2007
Any ideas for a good Rube Goldberg Machine anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thousands, but you really should think one up for yourself. Just pick some everyday simple task (like frying an egg or tying your shoes) and figure out the dumbest, most complicated way possible to do it.

Last edited:
i already have one for crushing a can and it's pretty good i must say, i just want some other ideas so later i might want to try some or maybe combine some or something to kill some time

I can think of several interesting ways to wake up a cat. :devil:

Not Erwin's cat, I hope! Quantum indeterminancy should not be toyed with.

turbo-1 said:
Not Erwin's cat, I hope! Quantum indeterminancy should not be toyed with.

in what way does this have any coherence with a Rube Goldberg machine? :confused:

Make the Scrödinger's cat experiment part of your machine and see what happens.

1. How do I come up with ideas for my Rube Goldberg machine?

There are many ways to come up with ideas for your Rube Goldberg machine. You can start by brainstorming and listing everyday tasks or actions that you want your machine to perform. You can also take inspiration from other Rube Goldberg machines online or in popular culture. Don't be afraid to think outside the box and get creative with your ideas!

2. What materials can I use to build my Rube Goldberg machine?

You can use a wide variety of materials to build your Rube Goldberg machine. Some common materials include household items such as dominoes, marbles, toy cars, and ramps. You can also incorporate more advanced materials like motors, pulleys, and levers for more complex movements. The key is to use materials that are easily accessible and safe to use.

3. How do I make my Rube Goldberg machine work smoothly?

To ensure that your Rube Goldberg machine works smoothly, it's important to plan and test each step carefully. Make sure that each component is properly aligned and secured in place. You may also need to adjust the timing and placement of certain elements to ensure that they work together seamlessly. Don't be discouraged if it takes multiple attempts to get it right – that's all part of the fun!

4. How can I add a unique twist to my Rube Goldberg machine?

One way to add a unique twist to your Rube Goldberg machine is to incorporate a theme or storyline. For example, you could create a machine that mimics a popular movie scene or tells a story through its movements. You can also experiment with different materials and techniques to create unexpected and creative elements in your machine.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in engineering to build a Rube Goldberg machine?

No, you do not need a background in engineering to build a Rube Goldberg machine. While some knowledge of basic physics and mechanics can be helpful, it is not a requirement. The most important thing is to have a clear vision and be willing to experiment and troubleshoot along the way.