Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ruben-Chladni plate

1. Jul 25, 2009 #1
    Hello !

I'd like to make a combination of two great basic physics experiments :

1) The Chladni plate : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wio728lLOh0&feature=related

2) Ruben's tube :

I'd like to construct a thin parallelepiped (50x1000x1000 mm) with one of the large plate covered with small holes. The speaker would be placed at the center of the other large plate, and the sound would propagate through a big hole at the center of the plate.

I'm not asking for help with the construction. I'm rather wondering if this is going to work.

So, if this idea doesn't make sense to you, just tell me and give me a little explanation. ;-)

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2011 #2
    Dont know if you are trying to do something like this its a fairly new video it has rods strung under tension and then they are plucked by a sawtooth disk driven by differet motors.

I am not really sure but the chladni plate looks to show the resonates in the plate its self not the standing air pressure wave...I could be wrong I guess you will have to go for it and see what happens.

A pic of what you had in mind would be good with just with paint or similar.

I wonder what you plate would display with something similar to this?

I am building a rubens tube with 3 phase speakers added to twist the air but not sure of what will happen until finshed.
    I am currently writing the control software on 2 pc's 1 for the 3 phase output and 1 for the single phase output using win98 with quickbasic via a 8421 resistor ladder on the printer port.

The single phase output will setup the standing wave in the tube then I plan to use the 3 phase to rock the air back and fourth as it goes in the tube similar to a 3 phase motor. I plan to have the program record the frequencys and then play them back at a shorter interval.

Top view is missing the 4th speaker and so is the end view SpeakerBoxTopView.jpg

End view SpeakerBoxSideView.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook