Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rubidium Chloride to make compotent cells

1. Mar 12, 2004 #1

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone know the molecular detail of how it works?
    http://micro.nwfsc.noaa.gov/protocols/rbcl.html

It is a method to make E. coli cells competent so that they are willing to take up DNA from their environment. So I guess the RbCl disrupts the plasma membrane in a certain way.. but why the other specific salts? The glycerol must be make the cells freezable.. MOPS is a detergent..

I don't know exactly :P

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rubidium chloride acts the same way as the clacium chloride. It is just an exotic reagent that supposebly increase the competence of the cell.

This is how it workes
    So Rubidium must have an impact on the permeability

His protocol is pretty fancy. In our lab we just use calcium chloride and then we add the glycerol as a cryoprotection

4. Mar 12, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does the CaCl protocol go? Does it require only a CaCl solution w/ glycerol?

I guess the RbCl is the foolsproof protocol :wink: I made the cells in an incredible rush on wednesday, transformed them on thursday and today I actually had colonies (which actually shouldn't have been colonies: digested vector ligated w/o insert).. or I must've contaminated them with an Amp resistant strain or something :P

5. Mar 12, 2004 #4

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is our protocol

Large scale production of competent E. coli DH5a

Competent cells were prepared by inoculating 200 ml of TY (0.8% (w/v) tryptone, 0.5% (w/v) yeast extract, 0.5% (w/v) NaCl) with 4 ml of an overnight culture of E. coli DH5a. The culture was incubated at 37°C on a shaker at 200 rpm. The culture was grown to an optical density of 0.5 at 660 nm (Gilford Stasar II spectrophotometer Gilford Instrument Laboratories Inc., Oberlin, OH, USA). A 100 ml volume of the culture was then transferred to a 250 ml centrifuge tube and the culture was centrifuged (10,000 ´ g, 2 min, 4°C). The pellet was resuspended with 50 ml of cold (4°C) 50 mM CaCl2. The resuspended cells were put on ice for 10 min and then centrifuged again (10,000 ´ g, 2 min, 4°C). The pellet was resuspended with 30 ml of cold (4°C) 50 mM CaCl2 containing 15% (w/v) glycerol. The suspension was left on ice for 1.75 h and dispensed as small aliquots (~ 600 ml) for storage at -80°C.

6. Mar 20, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, sounds like that protocol just hits the cells with everything imaginable. I just buy cells that are already competent...since I don't work with those very often, it's easier...also handy when you're in a rush. I'm convinced most of molecular biology is just voodoo anyway Sure feels that way some days anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?