Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rubiks Cube

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    What are the benefits of solving a rubiks cube?

I know chess is good for Logic, Concentration, Focus, Visualization and all that. However I dont have a chess board but do have a rubiks cube. Does the rubiks cube also help in those areas? More so or less so?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2
    I'm not sure if they help in that, but why not do it for pure entertainment. They can be very fun and time consuming, and I'll tell you, solving a rubiks cube feels great.

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3

jhae2.718

Gold Member

I taught myself how to solve them during standardized tests in high school.

It's fun to do if you have spare time.

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4
    It was originally developed as a model for teaching group theory permutations and can also be used to improve spatial visualization. I was big fan when they first came out and a university blindfolded me and did a timed test of my spatial abilities. I broke their record.

6. Aug 30, 2011 #5
    Did you solved it all by yourself? Thats great. All they do now-a-days is browse the internet to learn certain algorithms, and copy that.

7. Aug 30, 2011 #6
    I'm not sure chess actually helps in those areas for most people as they will just learn via brute memorization. Trying to find the best formula to solve the cube could be fun :)

8. Aug 30, 2011 #7
    Whoa! You left out that it's good for procrastination!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook