1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin 2.14

1. Jun 29, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that every closed set in a separable metric space is the union of a (possibly empty) perfect set and a set which is at most countable. (Rudin: Principles of Mathematical Analysis, 2nd ed.)

2. Relevant equations

Every separable metric space has a countable base.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let F be closed. Using the above fact, I've shown that the isolated points of F are at most countable, likewise their closure. I'm trying to construct a perfect set by removing non-limit points of F' points from F', the set of limit points of F, but it's not quite falling into place yet. Is this a good direction to go?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2015 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Careful, that is a countable _local_ base, not a countable global base, i.e., every metric space is 1st-countable, but not necessarily 2nd-countable.
    EDIT: Sorry, I did not read carefully: the hypothesis of separable implies 2nd countable.

4. Jun 29, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It's a countable global base since the space is separable.

5. Jun 29, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, thanks, I just corrected it as you were writing; I did not read carefully-enough.

6. Jun 29, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hint: consider the points ##x\in F## for which every neighborhood of ##x## meets ##F## in uncountably many points.

7. Jun 30, 2015 #6
    Got it, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted