1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin 3.11

1. Apr 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose [itex]a_n > 0[/itex], [itex]s_n =a_1 + ... + a_n[/itex], and [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] diverges,

a) Prove that

[tex]\sum \frac{a_n}{1+a_n}[/tex]

diverges.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Comparison with a_n fails miserably.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2008 #2
    is there a typo? i haven't thought about the problem yet but i notice s_n is nowhere in the problem

4. Apr 25, 2008 #3
    it is in part b which I have not posted (yet).

5. Apr 25, 2008 #4
    ok cool

6. Apr 25, 2008 #5
    there must be a mistake. if [itex] \sum a_i [/itex] diverges then you cannot prove that [itex] \sum \frac{a_n}{1+a_n} [/itex] converges. are you to show that the second series diverges? or is the first series supposed to converge?

7. Apr 25, 2008 #6
    Grr. I am two for two today. I am supposed to prove the second series diverges. Sorry. I checked that like three times. I don't know what is wrong with me.

Anyone know why the edit button is missing from my opening post and in fact my second post above also?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  8. Apr 25, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can only edit 30 minutes after you post.

9. Apr 25, 2008 #8

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The edit post button disappears within 24hrs.

I will do the edit to correct the initial post.

10. Apr 25, 2008 #9
    I began this thread less than 8 hours ago as you can see from the time stamps.

Is it 24 hours or 30 minutes? I remember it definitely used to be longer than 30 minutes. If that has changed I would recommend changing it back.

11. Apr 25, 2008 #10
    ahh typo, no wonder!

recall from rudin, sum(a_k) converges iff for all e > 0 there is N s.t. for all m > n > N |sum(a_k, k = n, ..., m)| < e

i'll be extra terse on purpose because this is a good problem, made me think

a_k > 0 by hypothesis(this is used in the proof of course)
    claim sum(a_k/(1 + a_k)) converges => sum(a_k) converges

"proof sketch"
    since sum(a_k/(1 + a_k)) converges, there is a number 0 < p < 1 and an integer N such that for all k > N, a_k < p.

we can pick an M s.t. for all m > n > M,

|sum(a_k, k = n, ..., m)| = |a_n + ... + a_m| = |(1 + a_n)a_n/(1 + a_n) + ... + (1 + a_m)a_m/(1 + a_m)| < (1 + p)|a_n/(1 + a_n) + ... + a_m/(1 + a_m)| < and now it's obvious

goodluck!

12. Apr 25, 2008 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The time was changed recently due to users abusing the function. See the following thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=229578

13. Apr 26, 2008 #12
    I do not know how you are getting your p but I understand your idea. Here is a complete proof.

If the series [tex]\sum \frac{a_n}{1+a_n}[/tex] converges, then [itex]a_n[/itex] must be bounded. Otherwise, given any [itex]\epsilon>0[/tex] and natural number N, I could find [itex]n \geq N[/itex] so that [tex]\frac{a_n}{1+a_n}[/tex] is between [itex]1-\epsilon[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. So, the terms of that series would not go to 0. So, let B bound [itex]a_n[/itex].

Then fix \epsilon \geq 0. Use the assumed convergence of [tex]\sum \frac{a_n}{1+a_n}[/tex] and the Cauchy criterion to find N so large that n,m \geq N implies that [tex]\sum_{k=n}^m \frac{a_k}{1+a_k} \leq \epsilon/(1+B)[/tex]. Then we have that

[tex]\sum_{k=n}^m a_k = \sum_{k=n}^m a_k (1+a_k)/(1+a_k) \leq (1+B) \sum_{k=n}^m a_k/(1+a_k) < \epsilon[/tex]

So convergence of the second series implies convergence of the first.

Please confirm that this is correct.

14. Apr 26, 2008 #13
    i don't understand your arguement for bounding a_n, this doesn't mean it's wrong though
    everything else makes sense to me

i did this, sum(a_k/(1 + a_k)) converges, so lim a_k/(1 + a_k) = 0, so there is an N s.t. for all k > N, a_k/(1 + a_k) < 1/2, so a_k < 1/2(1 + a_k) = 1/2 + a_k/2, so a_k/2 < 1/2, ie, a_k < 1 for all k > N, so that's enough, the whole p thing is just because this implies there is a 0 < p < 1 s.t. a_k < p for all k > N(sometimes this is very useful so I just pulled it out incase I would need it later), but yea it's not needed, all you need is a bound

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  15. Apr 26, 2008 #14
    In short, I was just saying that if we assume \sum \frac{a_n}{a_n+1} converges then \frac{a_n}{a_n+1} must go to zero and then its pretty clear that a_n must be bounded. Does that make sense? There are lots of ways to show that formally. Yes, all we need is a bound and we are just confusing each other getting a bound in different ways. :) Problem solved.

16. Apr 26, 2008 #15
    part d:

What can be said about

[tex]\sum \frac{a_n}{1+n a_n}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sum \frac{a_n}{1+n^2 a_n}[/tex]

When a_n = 1, the first one converges and the second one diverges. I cannot prove that that always happens though.

17. Apr 26, 2008 #16
    i'm not sure what you mean about a_n = 1, if this is the case then sum(a_n) = sum(1) diverges and so the does the first one i think since it becomes sum(1/(1 + n))

some observations, assuming a_n > 0 always I take it
    if sum(a_n) converges, then they both converge by comparison since |a_n/(1 + na_n)| <= |a_n| and |a_n/(1 + n^2a_n| <= |a_n|

for the first, note if a_n = 1/n, then the first and sum(a_n) both diverge, if a_n = 1/n^2 then sum(a_n) and the first both converge, so my gut feeling is that for the first, we have a sum(a_n) converges iff the first converges situation

for the second, things don't look as nice, note setting a_n = 1/n^2 then sum(a_n) and the second both converge. on the other hand, setting a_n = 1/n, we have that sum(a_n) diverges yet the second converges! so I think you can't say too much here, i'd look at more examples

i'd focus on the first and try to prove that if it converges, then so does sum(a_n), I think it's true but don't have time to work on it atm

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  18. Apr 26, 2008 #17
    Sorry, I meant that the first one diverges and the second one converges. Sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?