1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin convergence proof

1. Jul 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [tex]\Sigma[/tex]an is a convergent series and {bn} is a monotonic and bounded sequence, then [tex]\Sigma[/tex] anbnis a convergent series.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Since {bn} is bounded, |bn|<M for some M>0. Since [tex]\Sigma[/tex]an is a convergent series, we have that for every [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, there is some N>0 such that |Am-An|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]/M for all m>n>N. Thus, [tex]\sum_{k=n}^m[/tex] akbk < M [tex]\sum^{m}_{k=n}[/tex] (Ak-Ak-1) < [tex]\epsilon[/tex].
    \Sigma [/tex] ak bk
    is convergent.

Is this correct? If it is, then where did the monotonic behavior of {bn} get put in the proof?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your proof doesn't make any particular sense. But I think the type of case they are thinking of is an=(-1)^n/n and bn=(-1)^n. The series an is conditionally convergent, but an*bn is divergent.
  4. Jul 21, 2010 #3
    I used the Cauchy criterion for convergence. Where does it not make sense?

{bn} is a monotone sequence by hypothesis so bn = (-1)^n wouldn't work for this.
  5. Jul 21, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's works better than I thought it did now that I realize An is the nth partial sum of an. You should define your terms. But it still only works for an absolutely convergent series. I KNOW (-1)^n isn't monotone. You were asking why you need to assume bn to be monotone. I'm giving you a non-monotone example where your proof fails and asking you to try to figure out why it fails. Why do you need the monotone assumption?
  6. Jul 21, 2010 #5
    I didn't think my proof was correct (since I don't see the use of the monotone assumption) so I was asking what was wrong with my proof; but if it was somehow correct, where is the monotone behavior hidden. I already know a proof for this but I was wondering why this particular one didn't work.
  7. Jul 21, 2010 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's because of signs. (-1)<1. (-2)<(-1). But (-2)*(-1) is not less than 1*(-1). Do you see it now? You are assuming everything is positive.
  8. Jul 21, 2010 #7
    Ahh. I see. Thanks. I've been obsessing over this for quite some time.
  9. Jul 22, 2010 #8
    You are going to have to use Abel's summation by parts.

This is a pretty hard question. I remember being stuck on it last year.
  10. Jul 22, 2010 #9

Homework Helper

What about using the sandwich theorem?
  11. Jul 22, 2010 #10
    I think you can use theorem 3.42 if you can find a way to define a new sequence c_n from b_n. I have that written in some old notes and if I didn't make a mistake the proof isn't long.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook