1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin Errors? Errata?

1. Sep 1, 2008 #1
    I have cracked open Baby Rudin for the first time and I would like to ask if anybody knows of an errata that is on the "web"? I cannot find one. I wanted to print one out before I get in too deep and hurt myself.

Also, on page 2 (that's right, only pg. 2) , (4) has an exponent in front of a 2. What is this?

Lastly, on pg 3. 1.5 definition, (ii), am I reading it correctly or am I missing something? I feel like there is an error in saying "if x<y and y<x, then x<z " ???

Please help, I will begin to contribute to these forums starting today. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

George Bergman has an errata posted on his webpage.

I don't see the exponent you mention on page 2, and apparently neither does Bergman. But there is an error in definition 1.5(ii): the y<x should be a y<z.

4. Sep 1, 2008 #3
    Morphism, thank you. Those notes will help me to understand the reading. Last night I got to pg 9 and understood everything except 1.1.

In 1.1 (4), my version has a misprint apparently. I got my version from my school library in compact storage. When I "looked inside" the book using the amazon dot com feature I see that it is supposed to be "q^2 - 2".

I have a feeling I won't understand how to construct the reals pretty soon. Appendix 1 !

thanks morphism

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4
    In my book (third edition/bought three days ago) I've found both typos corrected. But on page 35 in the proof to 2.21(a) it should read:
    Hence [itex]p[/itex] has a neighborhood which does not intersect [itex] \overline E [/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?