1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin Lp question

1. Dec 2, 2007 #1
    This is problem 3.9 (from second edition of daddy rudin). (This isn't homework).

Suppose f is Lebesgue measurable on (0,1), and f is not essentially bounded.

Is it true that for every function g on [tex](0,\infty)[/tex] such that
    [tex]g(p) \rightarrow \infty[/tex] as [tex]p \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

one can find an f such that
    [tex]\|f\|_{p} \rightarrow \infty[/tex] as [tex]p \rightarrow \infty[/tex] with[tex]\|f\|_{p} < g(p)[/tex] for all sufficiently large p?

Any hints are appreciated.

I know that given any function f, the set of p for which [tex]\|f\|_{p} < \infty[/tex] can be any connected subset of [tex](0,\infty)[/tex].

Hence, given any r with 1 < r < [tex]\infty[/tex], we can find a fuction such that the [tex]\|f\|_{p} < \infty[/tex] if p < r but that the norm is infinite for p >= r.

But say we choose g(p)=p. The above mechanism fails to find a suitable f, since we can only choose some r finite, then g(p) < [tex]\|f\|_{p}[/tex] for all p > r.

On the other hand, I don't know how to prove that such a function f can't exist. But every function I can think of that meets the above criteria always has a finite inflection point where the norm goes infinite.

So I'm stumped.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2007 #2
    I think this should be true. You just need to make [tex]f[/tex] have a singularity that is really 'weak'. For example, you could have the function look like [tex]\frac{1}{\log(x)}[/tex]. That one is in [tex]L^p[/tex] for all large [tex]p[/tex] but the [tex]L_p[/tex] norm is growing as a function of [tex]p[/tex]. Of course this isn't a full solution to the problem but it should give you some idea of what's going on.. I hope it helps.

4. Dec 3, 2007 #3
    I think I'm getting closer. The hint was actually in a different problem.

I think the function i need is like:

[tex]\log(\frac{1}\sqrt(x))[/tex]

I'll keep plugging away.

5. Dec 3, 2007 #4
    Well, you won't get a specific function. The idea is that given any [tex]g[/tex] that specifies an asymptotic growth condition, you can find a function whose [tex]L^p[/tex] norms grow even slower than [tex]g[/tex]. You really don't need to construct an explicit one (it might be extremely hard if [tex]g[/tex] is really complicated).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?