1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin or Spivak

1. Dec 1, 2014 #1
    If I read and work through Rudin's PMA or Real Mathematical Analysis by Pugh, what in Spivak's Calculus am I missing? I have learned Calc 1-3 satisfactorily.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Dec 6, 2014 #3
    Hi Thinker301. I have gone through all of Rudin's PMA in a class and read through a good chunk of Spivak on my own time. I would say that if you read all of Rudin and do most of the problems, you won't be missing anything from Spivak. If you are studying real analysis by yourself and have no previous background in proofs, I don't think any of the books you listed are that good for self-study. Good luck :)!

On the other hand, the book "Numbers and Functions: Steps to Analysis" is pretty much designed for self-study. It is basically a curated sequence of problems with solutions provided. It's out of print, but used copies are available for ~$3 here
    https://www.amazon.com/Numbers-Func...0DI_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417927730&sr=1-4 .

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted