Rudin Problem 2.7: Proving Closure of Unions

In summary: If B_{n}=\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}A_{i} , then \bar{B_{n}}=\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bar{A_{i}}=\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bar{B_{n-1}}=\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bar{B_{n-2}}=\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bar{B_{n-3}}=\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bigcup_{i=1}^{n-1}}
Mogarrr

Homework Statement

Let [itex] A_1, A_2, A_2,...[/itex] be subsets of a metric space.
(a) If [itex]B_{n}=\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}A_{i} [/itex], prove that [itex] \bar{B_{n}}= \bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bar{A_{i}} [/itex] for n=1,2,3,...
(b) If [itex]B=\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}A_{i} [/itex], prove that [itex] \bar{B} \subset \bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}\bar{A_{i}} [/itex],
Show by example this inclusion is proper.
[/B]

Homework Equations

If E is a subset of a metric space, then the closure of E,
[itex] \bar{E}=E \bigcup \acute{E} [/itex], where [itex] \acute{E} [/itex] is the set of all limit points of E.

For a subset E of a metric space X, a point [itex] p \in X [/itex] is a limit point if and only if
[itex] \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists q \in B(p;\epsilon) \bigcap E : q \neq p [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I think I've got part (a) and (b) nailed down, but I'm having trouble thinking of an example for a proper subset. Here's what I have thus far...

Suppose [itex]x \in \bar{B_{n}} [/itex], then [itex] x \in B_{n} [/itex] or x is a limit point for [itex] B_{n} [/itex].
If [itex]x \in {B_{n}} [/itex], then [itex]x \in \bigcup_{i=1}^{n} A_{i} [/itex], then [itex] \exists i, x \in A_{i} [/itex], so [itex] \exists i, x \in \bar{A_{i}} [/itex].
If x is a limit point, then
[itex] \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists y \in B(x;\epsilon) \bigcap B_{n}: y \neq x [/itex], so [itex] \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists y \in B(x;\epsilon) \bigcap (\bigcup_{i=1}^{n} A_{i}): y \neq x [/itex], then
[itex] \exists i,\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists y \in B(x;\epsilon) \bigcap A_{i}: y \neq x [/itex], then
[itex] \exists i, x\in \bar{A_{i}}[/itex], so [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bar{A_{i}}[/itex]

Suppose [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bar{A_{i}}[/itex], then [itex] \exists i, x \in A_{j}[/itex] or for some i x is a limit point.
If [itex] \exists i, x \in A_{i}[/itex], then [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i=1}^{n}A_{i}=B_{n}[/itex].
If x is a limit point for some A sub i, then x is a limit point for [itex] \bigcup A_{i}=B_{n} [/itex].

For part (b), I did the same thing, but replaced [itex] B_{n} [/itex] with [itex] B [/itex] and in the union I replaced n with infinity.

Now, I'm having some difficulty coming up with an example that would show B is a proper subset of the union of an infinite number of A sub i's.

Any hints or corrections would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mogarrr said:

Homework Statement

(a) If [itex]B_{n}=\bigcup_{i=1}^{n}A_{i} [/itex], prove that [itex] \bar{B_{n}}= \bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bar{A_{i}} [/itex] for n=1,2,3,...
(b) If [itex]B=\bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}A_{i} [/itex], prove that [itex] \bar{B} \subset \bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty}\bar{A_{i}} [/itex],
[/B]

Homework Equations

If E is a subset of a metric space, then the closure of E,
[itex] \bar{E}=E \bigcup \acute{E} [/itex], where [itex] \acute{E} [/itex] is the set of all limit points of E.

For a subset E of a metric space X, a point [itex] p \in X [/itex] is a limit point if and only if
[itex] \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists q \in B(p;\epsilon) \bigcap E : q \neq p [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I think I've got part (a) and (b) nailed down, but I'm having trouble thinking of an example for a proper subset. Here's what I have thus far...

Suppose [itex]x \in \bar{B_{n}} [/itex], then [itex] x \in B_{n} [/itex] or x is a limit point for [itex] B_{n} [/itex].
If [itex]x \in {B_{n}} [/itex], then [itex]x \in \bigcup_{i=1}^{n} A_{i} [/itex], then [itex] \exists i, x \in A_{i} [/itex], so [itex] \exists i, x \in \bar{A_{i}} [/itex].
If x is a limit point, then
[itex] \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists y \in B(x;\epsilon) \bigcap B_{n}: y \neq x [/itex], so [itex] \forall \epsilon > 0, \exists y \in B(x;\epsilon) \bigcap (\bigcup_{i=1}^{n} A_{i}): y \neq x [/itex], then
[itex] \exists i,\forall \epsilon > 0, \exists y \in B(x;\epsilon) \bigcap A_{i}: y \neq x [/itex], then
[itex] \exists i, x\in \bar{A_{i}}[/itex], so [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bar{A_{i}}[/itex]

Suppose [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i=1}^{n}\bar{A_{i}}[/itex], then [itex] \exists i, x \in A_{j}[/itex] or for some i x is a limit point.
If [itex] \exists i, x \in A_{i}[/itex], then [itex] x \in \bigcup_{i=1}^{n}A_{i}=B_{n}[/itex].
If x is a limit point for some A sub i, then x is a limit point for [itex] \bigcup A_{i}=B_{n} [/itex].

For part (b), I did the same thing, but replaced [itex] B_{n} [/itex] with [itex] B [/itex] and in the union I replaced n with infinity.

Now, I'm having some difficulty coming up with an example that would show B is a proper subset of the union of an infinite number of A sub i's.

Any hints or corrections would be much appreciated.

I can see a fixable flaw in your argument for (a). For simplicity, take ##n = 2##; that is not a loss of generality, since you can then get the general case of finite ##n## by induction.

Anyway, say ##x \in \bar{B}_2## is in the boundary of ##B_2## but not in ##B_2## itself. Let ##\epsilon_1 > \epsilon_2 > \cdots \to 0##. For ##\epsilon_i## there is a point ##x_i \in B_2 \cap N(x,\epsilon_i)##. It is conceivable that we could have, for example, ##x_1 \in \ A_1, x_2 \in A_2, x_3 \in A_1, x_4 \in A_2, \ldots## so the sequence ##\{x_i\}## is not in a single set ##A_1## or ##A_2##, but, instead, oscillates back and forth between the two. In that case you would need to do more work to conclude that ##x## is in ##\bar{A}_1 \cup \bar{A}_2##. It can be done, but some extra steps are needed; I think the fact that you are working an a metric space matters a lot here.

Mogarrr said:

Homework Statement

[/B]

Are you sure the inclusion in part (b) is the right way round? Certainly one can show by example that [tex]
\bigcup_{i=1}^\infty \bar{A}_i \subsetneq \bar{B} [/tex] by taking a bijection [itex]f : \{1, 2, 3, \dots \} \to \mathbb{Q}[/itex] (such a bijection exists because the rationals are countable) and setting [itex]A_i = \{f(i)\} \subset \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Ray Vickson said:
I can see a fixable flaw in your argument for (a). For simplicity, take ##n = 2##; that is not a loss of generality, since you can then get the general case of finite ##n## by induction.

Anyway, say ##x \in \bar{B}_2## is in the boundary of ##B_2## but not in ##B_2## itself. Let ##\epsilon_1 > \epsilon_2 > \cdots \to 0##. For ##\epsilon_i## there is a point ##x_i \in B_2 \cap N(x,\epsilon_i)##. It is conceivable that we could have, for example, ##x_1 \in \ A_1, x_2 \in A_2, x_3 \in A_1, x_4 \in A_2, \ldots## so the sequence ##\{x_i\}## is not in a single set ##A_1## or ##A_2##, but, instead, oscillates back and forth between the two. In that case you would need to do more work to conclude that ##x## is in ##\bar{A}_1 \cup \bar{A}_2##. It can be done, but some extra steps are needed; I think the fact that you are working an a metric space matters a lot here.

So what you're saying is that just because [itex] \forall \epsilon >0,\exists y \in N(x;\epsilon) \bigcap \bigcup_{i=1}^{n} A_{i} [/itex], I can't conclude that [itex] \exists i, \forall \epsilon >0,\exists y \in N(x;\epsilon) \bigcap A_{i} [/itex]?

Would I have to say that for a sequence of epsilons, there is a y in the intersection of the Neighborhood with center x and radius epsilon? I thought about distributing the intersection/union, but that doesn't make much sense to me, intuitively.

pasmith,

Wow, really nice example. Am I correct in saying "because each of the singletons have no limit points, the union of the A sub i's are the rationals, but the closure of B is the reals"?

And yes, I was wrong. It should be...

Show by an example, that this inclusion [itex] B \supset \bigcup_{i=1}^{\infty} A_{i} [/itex] can be proper.

Mogarrr said:
pasmith,

Wow, really nice example. Am I correct in saying "because each of the singletons have no limit points, the union of the A sub i's are the rationals, but the closure of B is the reals"?

The point is not that a singleton has no limit points, but that it contains its only limit point and is therefore closed, so that [itex]\bigcup A_i = \bigcup \bar{A}_i[/itex]. Otherwise you are correct, although you need to explain briefly why [itex]\bigcup_{i=1}^\infty \{f(i)\} = \mathbb{Q}[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes Mogarrr
Mogarrr said:
So what you're saying is that just because [itex] \forall \epsilon >0,\exists y \in N(x;\epsilon) \bigcap \bigcup_{i=1}^{n} A_{i} [/itex], I can't conclude that [itex] \exists i, \forall \epsilon >0,\exists y \in N(x;\epsilon) \bigcap A_{i} [/itex]?

Would I have to say that for a sequence of epsilons, there is a y in the intersection of the Neighborhood with center x and radius epsilon? I thought about distributing the intersection/union, but that doesn't make much sense to me, intuitively.

You probably can conclude it, but it does not follow right away from what you did; you need some extra steps.

1. What is Rudin Problem 2.7?

Rudin Problem 2.7 is a problem from the book Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Walter Rudin. It deals with proving the closure of unions of sets in a topological space.

2. Why is proving closure of unions important?

Proving closure of unions is important in topology because it allows us to understand the behavior of sets under the operations of union and closure. It also helps us to determine whether a particular set is closed or not.

3. What is the definition of closure of a set?

The closure of a set A is the smallest closed set that contains A. It is denoted as $\bar{A}$ and can also be defined as the intersection of all closed sets that contain A.

4. How do you prove closure of unions in a topological space?

To prove closure of unions in a topological space, we first need to show that the union of two closed sets is also closed. Then, we can generalize this result to any finite union of closed sets. Finally, we use the definition of closure to show that the closure of a union of sets is contained in the union of the closures of those sets.

5. What are some applications of closure of unions in mathematics?

The concept of closure of unions is used in various branches of mathematics, including topology, real analysis, and measure theory. It is also useful in proving theorems related to compactness and connectedness of topological spaces.