1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rudin Remark 11.23

1. May 25, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Rudin Remark 11.23

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove: If f is measurable and bounded on E, and if [itex]\mu(E) < + \infty[/itex], then f is Lebesgue integrable on E.

2. Relevant equations
    Here is how Rudin defines the Lebesgue integral. Everyone probably already knows this but anyway:

(51) [tex]s(x) = \sum_{i=1}^n c_i K_{E_i} (x) \mbox{ (for x \in X, c_i >0)} [/tex]

(where K is the indicator function) is measurable, and suppose E is a measurable set. We define

(52) [tex] I_E (s) = \sum_{i=1}^n c_i \mu(E \cap E_i)[/tex]

If f is measurab;e and nonnegative, we define the Lebesgue integral of f over the set E as

(53) [tex]\int_E f d\mu = \sup I_E (s)[/tex]

where the sup is taken over all measurable simple functions s such that 0 \leq s \leq f.

Let f be measurable, and consider the two integrals

(55) [tex]\int_E f^+ d\mu \mbox{ and} \int_E f^- d\mu [/tex]

where [itex]f^+ = max(f,0)[/itex] and [itex]f^-= min(f,0)[/itex]. If at least one of the two integrals is finite, we define

(56) [tex]\int_E f d\mu = \int_E f^+ d\mu - \int_E f^- d\mu[/tex]

If both integrals on the RHS are finite, we say the f is Lebesgue integrable.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Apparently this should follow directly from the definition, although I am having trouble figuring out why. Assume B is a bound for f. Then all of the c_i have to less then or equal to B (at least if E_i is nonempty). Then we someone need to get a bound for the I_E. So, we probably want to invoke the countable additivity of the set function mu but we then need to know that all of the [itex]E_i \cap E[/itex] are disjoint and we do not know that, right?
    Last edited: May 25, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try to invoke the monotonicity of the integral.
  4. May 26, 2008 #3
    The definition of a simple function is that the Ei are disjoint. If they're not, you can split them into new Ei that are disjoint. For instance, if
    E1 = (0,1/2), c1 = 1
    E2 = (1/4, 3/4), c2 = 2
    E3 = (1/2, 1), c3 = 1.
    you can easily separate the Ei and ci so that the new Ei are disjoint.
  5. May 26, 2008 #4
    Also, the reason that this follows directly from the definition is that it is the definition. What are you trying to prove?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?