Why do we need an m between -m2 and m1 to prove Theorem 1.20?

In summary, the theorem states that if x is in the range of y, and x<y, then there exists a p in the range of Q such that x<p<y. However, there is a question about why m is needed. It is suggested that m needs to be in between -m2 and m1, in order for the minimum to exist.
Khichdi lover
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=253563

There is this post on this theorem. But the issue I wanted to discuss isn't discussed there fully(so far as I could follow the thread). So I am creating this thread for that issue, so as to avoid necro-post in that thread.

Unassuming said:
Pg 9

If x in R, y in R, and x<y, then there exists a p in Q such that x<p<y.

Proof:
Since x<y, we have y-x>0, and the archimedean property furnishes a positive integer n such that
n(y-x)>1.

Apply the archimedean property again, to obtain positive integers m1 and m2 such that m1>nx, m2>-nx. Then

-m2<nx<m1.

Hence there is an integer m ( with -m2<= m <= m1) such that

m-1 <= nx < m

If we combine these inequalities, we obtain

nx<m<= 1 + nx < ny.

Since n>0, it follows that

x < m/n < y. This proves (b) with p = m/n.

My doubt is regarding m. Why do we have to find an m which lies between -m2 and m1.

Why can't we directly say that there exists an m1 which is greater than nx (by Archimedian property).
And then go on to say that there would be an m less than or equal to m1 which is such that nx lies between m-1 and m.Why do we have to show that -m2 is less than nx. Do we have to establish that nx lies in an interval which has both a lower and upper bound(-m2 and m1 respectively). Can't we simply establish that nx lies in an interval which has an upper bound ( i.e m1) and then go on to show existence of m ? Why do we need m2

*I am sorry if I am assuming anything which is not obvious and hence needed to be proven. I am new to analysis , hence I am not too sure of what is obvious and what is not. *
Unassuming said:
He might have needed the m1 and m2 because we cannot just pick any number. We therefore used archimedian property to find m1 and m2, and then again to find a m in between them but a little to the "right" of nx.

is the above , the correct reason ? Still I am having difficulty understanding the need for -m2.

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing is that we have to construct m such that

[tex]m-1\leq nx<m[/tex]

For this, we choose

[tex]m=\min\{a\in \mathbb{N}~\vert~nx<a\}[/tex]

But in order for that minimum to exist, we need the set [itex]\{a\in \mathbb{N}~\vert~nx<a\}[/itex] to have a lower bound. This is exactly what [itex]-m_2[/itex] provides...

ok got it . Thanks.

But 1 doubt still remains though .
in this set you pointed out -

[tex]m=\min\{a\in \mathbb{N}~\vert~nx<a\}[/tex]

shouldn't 'a' belong to the set of integers instead of the set of naturals.
As any set of naturals will have a minimum. But any set of integers may not have a minimum.

Khichdi lover said:
ok got it . Thanks.

But 1 doubt still remains though .
in this set you pointed out - [tex]{a\in \mathbb{N}~\vert~nx<a\}[/tex] ,

shouldn't 'a' belong to the set of integers instead of the set of naturals.
As any set of naturals will have a minimum. But any set of integers may not have a minimum.

Yes, of course. It needs to be the integers :blushing:

Thanks. Sorry didn't get the latex code correct.:cry:
DOUBT resolved!

1. What is Rudin Theorem 1.20 about?

Rudin Theorem 1.20 is a mathematical theorem that states the existence of a supremum for a nonempty set of real numbers.

2. What is the significance of Rudin Theorem 1.20?

Rudin Theorem 1.20 is an important result in real analysis, as it allows for the definition of limits, continuity, and other fundamental concepts in calculus.

3. How is Rudin Theorem 1.20 proved?

Rudin Theorem 1.20 can be proved using the completeness axiom for the real numbers, which states that every nonempty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a supremum.

4. Can Rudin Theorem 1.20 be applied to other mathematical concepts?

Yes, Rudin Theorem 1.20 can be applied to various mathematical concepts such as sequences, series, and functions to prove their convergence or continuity.

5. Are there any practical applications of Rudin Theorem 1.20?

Rudin Theorem 1.20 has numerous practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where the concept of limits and supremum are used to model and solve real-world problems.