Why Did My Spring Term Grades Ruin My Chances for Grad School?

In summary, the engineer had a bad term in terms of grades. The grades don't seem to reflect the effort put in, and the engineer is unsure of what caused the drop in grades. The engineer is considering changing majors or interests.
ych22
Well...I am an engineering major who decided to take more math classes last spring term to prepare myself for the possibility of engineering grad school.

Just got back my spring term grades and it was an absolute shock. I used to average near an A- but my grade point average dove by 0.19!

Engineering Design Project: B
Compulsory human resource elective: B-
(Elective) Real Analysis I B-
(Elective) Linear Models B
(Elective) Discrete Maths A+

I am left with 2 terms of classes to fix my grades and I'm trying to figure out why I did so badly. It's troubling because I have no idea why I screwed up so bad this time. I cannot even ask my professors because the college is not transparent about the grades. Arghhhhh.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm not sure I would call that a "ruinous" term. You had a bad term in comparison to previous terms. It's not going to prevent you from getting into grad school.

I'm not sure what "not transparent about the grades" means. You have a right to know how you have been evaluated. But either way you have to figure out what the difference between previous terms and this term was. Sometimes the first year of university isn't all that different from high school in terms of material and so students do really well for the first while because most of the material is review. Then they see a drop in marks because in second year, the material is all new and they use the same study methods that worked the previous year.

Even if your school can't disclose certain details for whatever reason, you may still be able to speak with your professors unofficially, too. It's worth investigating.

You're kidding, right? That's not a bad term. Bad terms involve C's, D's, and F's. Sounds to me like you're just not that great at higher math. Don't sweat it. You don't have to be great at it, just good at it.

Sorry for not putting everything in context. I had been targeting to enter a good MFE program along with financial aid, but now that seems so far away!

I just felt the need to rant, because 5 previous terms of hard work had been wiped out by a single term arghhh.

Thanks for hearing me out anyway guys. I will try to get back to business from tomorrow onwards. Indeed, abstract math is not for me. I will try to re-evaluate my interests :)

I understand the frustration and disappointment that comes with unexpected grades. It is important to remember that grades are not the sole determining factor for admission into graduate school. Admissions committees also consider factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

That being said, it is important to reflect on your grades and try to identify potential reasons for the drop. It could be that you took on too many math classes at once and were not able to give each one the necessary attention. It could also be that the material in these classes was particularly challenging for you. It is also possible that external factors, such as personal or health issues, may have affected your performance.

Regardless of the reasons, it is important to address the issue and take steps to improve your grades in the remaining terms. This could include seeking help from professors or tutors, adjusting your study habits, or reevaluating your course load. It is also important to communicate with your graduate program of interest and explain your situation. They may be understanding and willing to consider your overall academic record rather than just one term's grades.

Remember, one term does not define your academic abilities or potential for success in graduate school. Use this experience as a learning opportunity and take proactive steps to improve your grades and demonstrate your commitment to your academic goals.

1. What are "Ruinous Spring Term grades"?

"Ruinous Spring Term grades" refer to poor or failing grades received by students during the spring term of their academic year.

2. Why are spring term grades considered "ruinous"?

Spring term grades are considered "ruinous" because they can significantly impact a student's overall academic performance and potentially hinder their chances for future opportunities such as scholarships or graduate school.

3. What factors contribute to receiving "ruinous Spring Term grades"?

Several factors can contribute to receiving "ruinous Spring Term grades," including poor time management, lack of understanding of course material, personal issues, and unexpected challenges, such as a global pandemic.

4. How can students avoid receiving "ruinous Spring Term grades"?

To avoid receiving "ruinous Spring Term grades," students should prioritize their time, seek help from their professors or tutors, stay organized, and communicate any personal issues that may affect their academic performance. Additionally, setting realistic goals and maintaining a healthy balance between school and personal life can also help prevent poor grades.

5. Can "ruinous Spring Term grades" be improved?

Yes, "ruinous Spring Term grades" can be improved through various methods such as attending extra help sessions, seeking guidance from professors, retaking exams or assignments, and putting in extra effort in studying and completing assignments. It is essential to communicate with professors and seek support from academic resources to improve grades.