Proving: a ≡ s (mod 9) | Basic Proof for Congruence Modulo 9

• Thread starter scottstapp
  • Start date
In summary, we are trying to prove that a is congruent to s(mod 9), using the given equations. By the definition of congruence, we know that a is congruent to d0+ d110+ d2102+...+dr10r, which is also congruent to d0+ d1+ d2+...+dr (mod 9). This is because 10 is congruent to 1(mod 9), so we can replace each 10 with 1 in the equations. This is a valid informal proof, but for a formal proof, more details and explanations may be needed.
scottstapp

Homework Statement

Prove the following
a is congruent to s(mod 9)

Homework Equations

a=drdr-1***d1d0

a=d0+ d110+ d2102+...+dr10r

s= d0+ d1 +...+dr

The Attempt at a Solution

we know that 10-1=9 so we can say that 10 is congruent to 1(mod 9)

so we know that a is congruent to d0+ d110+ d2102+...+dr10r which is congruent to d0+ d1+ d2+...+dr (mod 9).

Is this a step in the right direction? Does anything else need to be shown?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not much else needs to be shown. You could fill in some details, like saying why 10^2, 10^3 etc are also congruent to 1 mod 9. But I'm guessing you've got the idea.

Last edited:
I guess what I was trying to ask was is the way I wrote a valid formal proof?

scottstapp said:
I guess what I was trying to ask was is the way I wrote a valid formal proof?

You wrote a valid INFORMAL proof. I.e. one where you don't detail all of the reasons for every step. If you want a formal proof, you should supply those reasons.

1. How do you prove that a number is congruent to another number modulo 9?

To prove that a number a is congruent to another number s modulo 9, you need to show that their difference, a - s, is a multiple of 9. This can be done by dividing a - s by 9 and checking if the remainder is equal to 0.

2. What does it mean for two numbers to be congruent modulo 9?

Two numbers are congruent modulo 9 if they have the same remainder when divided by 9. In other words, their difference is a multiple of 9.

3. Can you provide an example of proving a ≡ s (mod 9)?

Sure, for example, let's prove that 25 ≡ 7 (mod 9). We can calculate 25 - 7 = 18, and since 18 is divisible by 9, we can say that 25 ≡ 7 (mod 9).

4. How is proving a ≡ s (mod 9) useful?

Proving congruence modulo 9 can be useful in various mathematical applications, such as cryptography, number theory, and algebra. It allows us to simplify complex calculations and identify patterns in numbers.

5. Are there any other important properties of congruence modulo 9?

Yes, congruence modulo 9 has several important properties, such as the transitive, symmetric, and reflexive properties. It also follows the distributive and associative laws, making it a useful tool in solving equations and manipulating numbers.