1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ruled surfaces help

1. May 28, 2015 #1
    Hello, I am studying for an analytic geometry final but I am totally lost for this problem... We didn't even cover this topic in class (my prof didn't show up for class for two weeks) and I have no clue on how to do it. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Question: Prove that the equation: $$x^2-y^2+xy-1=0$$ is a ruled surface.

I understand that a ruled surface is a surface composed of straight lines but that is as far as my knowledge goes for this question... Again any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're close, but this article gives a more complete definition of ruled surfaces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_surface

4. May 28, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Unrelated to your question -- the homework template is required. If you post a question again, please don't delete the three parts.

5. May 28, 2015 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With the ##z## variable missing, isn't this a cylindrical surface? For any fixed ##(x,y)## satisfying the equation, what happens to ##(x,y,z)## as you vary ##z##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted