1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rules for evaluating limits?

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

Hi. We havnt started limits in class yet, but ive come across one, which i need to evaluate.

[tex]
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } 2\pi r + 2nR\sin \frac{\pi }{n}
    [/tex]

For a limit like that, can i just substitute infinity into the equation? Or is there some rule against that? If so, would i be right in saying:

[tex]
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } 2\pi r + 2nR\sin \frac{\pi }{n} = 2\pi r
    [/tex]

Thanks for the help.
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2
    Well sir dango

What your saying to me seams perfectly correct, however, limits are not my specialties. For the limit which you defined, that is the correct answer

unique_pavadrin

EDIT: dear sir dango what i had previously sated is incorrect, as n approaches n infinity, the function appraocd 2(pi)(r+R)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  4. Feb 12, 2007 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

[tex]
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } 2\pi r + 2nR\sin \frac{\pi }{n} = 2\pi r
    [/tex]

2pi r is a constant, take out of the limit. We have

[tex]
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } 2nR\sin \frac{\pi }{n} = 2\pi r
    [/tex]

Remember for small x, sin x=x? You can see that from the fact the tangent at x=0 is y=x (on the sine curve). So as n gets large, pi/n gets small.

The n's cancel so we get that limit is equal to 2Rpi, so the solution unique_pavadrin posted is correct.

5. Feb 12, 2007 #4

danago

Gold Member

Ahh thanks very much for that. That answer is exactly what im after, considering the context im using the equation in :biggrin:

6. Feb 12, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you have cancel the 2 [itex]2\pir[/itex] terms:
    [tex]
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } 2nR\sin \frac{\pi }{n} = 0
    [/tex][/quote]
    Now what you say further makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?