1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rules of logarithms

1. May 18, 2013 #1
    Hi,

So I'm doing boltzmann's entropy hypothesis.

I have a basic question about the mathematics of logarithms.

For [itex]\frac{ΔS}{K_B}=ln(W_f)-ln(W_i)[/itex], I do the correct maths and go [itex]\frac{ΔS}{K_B}=ln(\frac{W_f}{W_i})[/itex], and finally take the log of the equation to get:
    [tex]e^{\frac{ΔS}{K_B}}=\frac{W_f}{W_i}[/tex]
    This is correct, according to my worksheet.

However, I was wondering why making [itex]ln(W_f)-ln(W_i)=ln(\frac{W_f}{W_i})[/itex] is necessary in order to get the correct equation. Why can't taking the log of [itex]ln(W_f)-ln(W_i)[/itex] work?

If I do it, [itex]\frac{ΔS}{K_B}=ln(W_f)-ln(W_i)[/itex] is [itex]e^{\frac{ΔS}{K_B}}=W_f-W_i[/itex], which is incorrect.

What is the mathematics behind this and what am I missing? Or is it just a general rule that you have to simplify the logs in order to proceed? It's bugging me.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi theojohn4! :smile:

eA+B isn't the same as eA + eB

eAB isn't the same as eAeB

similary, ln(A+B) isn't the same as lnA + lnB :wink:

4. May 18, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're not taking the log of each side - you're exponentiating each side of the equation. That is, you are making each side the exponent of e. There's a big difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook