Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rumsfeld Has Resigned

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The Don has gone.

Gates is a good choice. Too bad it wasn't done sooner - like 3.5 years ago. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2
    This the man fearless enough to go to war with one-fifth of an army, too courageous to heed dire warnings from his own generals, too tough to request extra armor for his soldiers. And he runs away from a few Democrats led by a woman. Makes you think.

4. Nov 8, 2006 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Does this Congress have the will to bring articles of impeachment against Bush and Cheney? President Pelosi has a nice ring to it, and she's next in line.

5. Nov 8, 2006 #4
  6. Nov 8, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Rumsfeld quits
    Reuters 13:24 ET, Wed 8 Nov 2006
    http://elections.us.reuters.com/top/news/usnN08307718.html

7. Nov 8, 2006 #6
    Ba-haaa-haaaa-haaa-haaaa-haaaaaaaaaa...

8. Nov 8, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Behind Rumsfeld's Fall: The Perils of Hubris
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1556617,00.html

By MARK THOMPSON/WASHINGTON

While I agree the intent was correct, the execution stunk. Donny Boy blew it big time!

They lack sufficient body and vehicular armor to prevent injury and death. They did their jobs as best they could under the circumstances. The people in the Bush administration handicapped - ney abused - the military. :mad:

Well it's Bush lack of concern and lack of inquistiveness, and probably delusional thinking that allowed Rumsfeld to stay on.

Don's needs to go home and enjoy his $ millions and five houses.

Meanwhile more than 2800 US troops aren't returning and thousands more return with injury and questionable support from the administration. :mad:

9. Nov 8, 2006 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why a person with CIA background instead of military? Intel is obviously more important than ever before, but we already have a Director of National Intelligence. Since we still need to resolve things in Iraq, I would have expected someone with more experience dealing with the military.

10. Nov 8, 2006 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this is the best day that I've had in six years. Tsu and I both noted that this morning we felt like kids on Christmas morning who couldn't wait to see what Santa brought.

11. Nov 8, 2006 #10

turbo

Gold Member

Good point. Naming Colin Powell to be Defense Secretary would have been a smarter move, and it would have given Powell an opportunity to redeem himself after feeding the UN lies regarding the non-existent Iraq WMD. Powell is popular enough that if a Democrat succeeds Bush, he would probably be kept on in the post, especially if it looks like he's doing a god job trying to clean up Rummy's mess.

12. Nov 8, 2006 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's kind of strange timing to announce Rumsfeld's resignation the day after the election. I thought that day was normally reserved for defeated candidates to accept a plea bargain in whatever scandal was dogging their campaign.

13. Nov 8, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You just made my list of all-time favorite quotes. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

14. Nov 8, 2006 #13

Astronuc

Long Overdue Departure for Rumsfeld
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1556714,00.html
    By JAMES CARNEY/WASHINGTON
    The criticism is coming fast and furious.

Some background on Robert Gates:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Gates
    Unfortunately this page has been vandalized. :grumpy:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  15. Nov 8, 2006 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it was likely planned if the dems won as both red meat, and to avoid the sec of defense being on trial. There will be subpoenas.

16. Nov 8, 2006 #15

Astronuc

Funny, that's the same sentiment expressed by my father. :approve:

17. Nov 8, 2006 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not until the new Congress takes office in January.

I would have expected them to wait at least until next week. The whole day looks like 'the surrender'. Rumsfeld's resignation. Hastert announcing he won't run for minority leader. The house is being cleaned immediately.

18. Nov 9, 2006 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So who is Rumsfeld's replacement?

Some good comments about his past and some bad. Considering his work on the Iraq Study Group with another pragmatist from Bush 41's staff, hopefully Shane's comments are more relevant to today.

19. Nov 9, 2006 #18

Astronuc

The second paragraph is quite relevant. I am counting on Gates listening to the military. Texas A&M has a largely ROTC program (Corps of Cadets), and I expect that to be a positive influence on Gates.

20. Nov 9, 2006 #19

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Why can't we vote for cabinet members?

I suppose I can admit that I wouldn't know how to vote for, so I can kind of see why it's a representative decision, but is there more to it?

21. Nov 9, 2006 #20

turbo

Gold Member

The President picks his own cabinet members and then your representatives in Congress get to vet them, so you (theoretically) do have a say in their confirmation if you can accurately predict what your scum-sucking son of a b... er, Congressional representative is going to do when confronted by a very bad nominee. In practice, there is very little advise-and-consent going on at this level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?