Run for President: Quick Guide on How to Start

• Thread starter Nothing000
  • Start date
In summary, someone who wants to run for president should:1. be active in their neighborhood2. be elected to alderman3. be elected to Congress4. be elected to Senate/governorship5. run for president
Nothing000
How does someone go about running for president? I am thinking about doing that some day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's how I'd go about it:

1. From an early age, be active in your neighborhood. Try to live in the same area where you grew up. If the local politics don't gel with your own, that probably won't be possible.
2. Be elected to alderman in that neighborhood. (EDIT: I just realized that many non-urban places probably don't have aldermen. In that case, I'd try to get some sort of county-level position.)
3. Be elected to Congress in your district.
4. Be elected to Senate/governorship.
5. Run for president.

Oh yeah, you'll probably want to major in Political Science and go to law school.

(On a more personal level, I'd probably follow the Dick Gephardt path, given that I'm from St. Louis. That would involve skipping step 4 and being a representative longer, since Missouri state politics generally preclude St. Louis politicians from doing well in statewide elections. Of course, he didn't win any of the 2004 primaries... :frown: )

Last edited:
That sounds hard. I think I will just buy my way in. Thanks anyway.

Nothing000 said:

I'd call that the George W. Bush route.

More like the George Washington route.

Nothing000 said:

Politicians are suppose to take money, not the other way around!

Actually you can take the life-long political career path Manchot pointed out and yah, prepare to enter into some sort of law/political science/business major.

Alternatively, I suspect you could become an expert in a field that has some sort of Secretary associated with it. Say for example... secretary of education. You could be an administrator for a school district... slowly move up the ladder through the local and higher levels and become the Secretary of Education. If you somehow get recognized by an administration and political party, you may have a chance. If I were dumb enough to try to run for President and ruin everyones life, I'd stick with Manchot's idea.

Last edited:
Nothing000 said:
More like the George Washington route.

I hope you're being facetious. He was the commander-in-chief during the war that birthed this nation. Dubya got into the governorship of Texas with money that his father earned and respect that his father earned.

So you are trying to tell me that Geoge Washington didn't get A LOT of help from his dad too?

Nothing000 said:
So you are trying to tell me that Geoge Washington didn't get A LOT of help from his dad too?

What, do you mean money-wise? Certainly. Reputation-wise, he built it all himself.

Nothing000 said:

We're talking about apples and oranges here. Comparing a modern day politican to George Washington...

But Geore Washington basically bought his way straigt to the top. What is the difference from that and George Bush Jr.?

Pengwuino said:
Politicians are suppose to take money, not the other way around!

No no no, it's much more like an investment, or perhaps a gamble. You pay to get in , and if you succeed then you can collect big - bribery, extortion, embezzlement, whatever's your game. :cool: The traditional method is to award overpriced no-bids contracts to old friends, in exchange for a percentage, or some other kickbacks (this one's popular in the House this term :biggrin:). Or you could set up some sort of elaborate fraud - no one will know. Mind you, it's important not to take any unnecessary risks - always keep a nice buffer zone of unwitting expendables to take the blame.

I provide consulting services for a fee... PM me your best offer.

Nothing000 said:
But Geore Washington basically bought his way straigt to the top. What is the difference from that and George Bush Jr.?

I don't believe Bush fought the British army to free any colonies...

Pengwuino said:
I don't believe Bush fought the British army to free any colonies...
What history book are you reading? You should probably question your sources of information.

Nothing000 said:
What history book are you reading? You should probably question your sources of information.

:uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: I didn't know Bush was 300 years old...

Pengwuino said:
:uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: I didn't know Bush was 300 years old...
It's not like he is still alive or anything. Sheesh, you are crazy.

Are you smoking drugs?

I must be... because I'm seeing a lot of craaaaaaaaazy stuff in the last few threads...

Watch news as much as possible.Infact by a new tv and put some where in your house and leave it on the News all the time.My great grandfather was state senortor he watches the news all the time(I'am kind of wondering if it's gentic since me and my watch the news a lot too).Make sure you understand a lot of poltical issues.Make sure you understand how everything in the government works everything form the President/congress to the pages(there the high school students that help the congressmen during the summer).Try to memorize as many laws as possible and make sure you understand there loop holpes.Also make sure you know as much about the courts as possible there very importent.Make sure you know all the rules about congress and the U.N.

Step 1 - Take your moral and ethical values, and throw them in a grinder, so that they get ruined and never come back.

Consult me for a fee after Step 1 has been completed.

Nothing000 said:
The difference is that you are wrong about George Washington: he didn't "buy his way to the top". He didn't want to be President - he did it pretty much because his peers made him do it. Add to that the fact that he didn't have to run for President - no money was required.

What was the point of this thread? Were you looking for the actual legal method required to become President? IIRC, it is different from state to state, but in many, a petition will get you on the ballot.

Last edited:

1. What qualifications do I need to run for president?

According to the U.S. Constitution, a person must be at least 35 years old, a natural-born citizen of the United States, and a resident of the country for at least 14 years to be eligible to run for president.

2. How do I get on the ballot?

Each state has its own requirements for getting on the ballot. Generally, candidates must collect a certain number of signatures from registered voters in that state to be considered for the ballot. It is important to research and understand the specific requirements for each state in which you wish to run for president.

3. How much money do I need to run for president?

The amount of money needed to run for president varies greatly depending on a variety of factors, such as the size of your campaign staff, the states you plan to campaign in, and your overall campaign strategy. It is important to have a solid financial plan in place before launching a presidential campaign.

4. Can I run for president as an independent candidate?

Yes, you can run for president as an independent candidate. However, it can be more challenging for independent candidates to get on the ballot and gain support compared to candidates from major political parties.

5. What is the first step to running for president?

The first step to running for president is to officially announce your candidacy. This can be done through a press conference, social media, or any other means that will help get your message out to potential voters. From there, you can begin to build your campaign team and develop your platform and message to share with the public.