Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Run LaTeX off of a USB Drive?

1. Dec 21, 2005 #1
    Is it possible to "install" LaTeX (for windows) on, say, a USB pocketdrive? Or better yet could I just copy over all the directories from an existing computer and then be able to compile .tex files using the packages I have installed?

I know you can get other pieces of software that run off USB drives (i.e., Firefox) but there needs to be certain modifications made to the binary etc. because each time you plug a USB drive into a different machine the drive letter that gets assigned (on windows, don't know about *nix) could, and most likely will be, a different one...

Does anyone know if this would be a problem for LaTeX? if it is does anyone know if anyone else has made the modifications needed? I've tried various googling but I can't find anything relavent at all! I'd like to be able to do the same on an OSX machine too (obviously I'd need a seperate installation with OSX binaries).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2005 #2
    as long as the TeX binaries know where to find all the components (style files, font metrics, etc) you should have no problem running TeX/LaTeX off a USB drive. It's largely a matter of setting a few environment variables correctly so that TeX/LaTeX knows where to find things.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?