Runaway Truck: Energy and Work

In summary: You're a lifesaver.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of gravel ramps to safely stop runaway trucks with failed brakes in mountainous areas. It then delves into using work and energy equations to find the length of a ramp needed to stop a truck with specific mass and initial velocity. A mistake is identified in the original equation and a revised equation is provided. The revised equation is confirmed to be correct.
LinearBeat
Truck brakes can fail if they get too hot. In some mountainous areas, ramps of loose gravel are constructed to stop runaway trucks that have lost their brakes. The combination of a slight upward slope and a large coefficient of friction in the gravel brings the truck safely to a halt. Suppose a gravel ramp slopes upward at 6.0° and the coefficient of friction is 0.46. Use work and energy to find the length of a ramp that will stop a 10,000-kg truck that enters the ramp at a speed of 35 m/s (75 mph).

F_f=Force of Friction (F_f=μF_n; F_n=Normal Force)
m=Mass of the truck
U=Potential Energy, U-i= initial U, U_f=final U
L=Length of the ramp
K=Kinetic Energy, K_i=initial K, K_f=final K
W=Work (in this case done by friction)
v=initial velocity of the truck

Looking at the diagram I drew I determined:
F_f=μmg/cosθ
U=Lsinθmg

ΔK=ΔU-W
K_f-K_i=U_f-U_i-W
-K_i=U_f-W
-1/2mv^2=Lsinθmg-(μmg/cosθ)L
-1/2v^2=L(sinθg-μg/cosθ)
-v^2/(2(sinθg-μg/cosθ))=L

Using this process I've gotten the wrong answer, but I don't understand what I've done wrong and how I need to revise it.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem may lay in your equation where you related energies.

Your statement -K_i=U_f-W is saying that all of the initial kinetic energy is being transformed into work, except for the potential energy that is being gained (dividing through by a negative gives K_i=W-U_f). This is also saying that initial kinetic plus initial gravitational results in the work done by friction, which seems incorrect.

Okay so that's a great way to evaluate my original statement. The way I understand it, the kinetic energy that the truck has will all be converted into potential energy and work. So I think a better equation is:
K_i=U_f+W
Using Villyer's method I think this equation holds up; the kinetic energy minus the work should equal the potential energy and the kinetic energy minus the potential energy should equal the work.
and the verdict is...
Correct!
Thanks so much Villyer.

1. What is a runaway truck?

A runaway truck is a truck that has lost control and is rapidly moving down a slope without being able to slow down or stop. This can happen due to mechanical failure, brake failure, or human error.

2. How much energy does a runaway truck have?

The amount of energy a runaway truck has depends on its size, speed, and weight. However, according to the law of conservation of energy, the total energy of the truck (kinetic energy + potential energy) will remain constant unless an external force is applied to it.

3. What factors affect the energy of a runaway truck?

The energy of a runaway truck can be affected by various factors, such as its speed, weight, and the slope of the road. The truck's braking system and the friction between the tires and the road also play a significant role in determining its energy.

4. How does a runaway truck's energy relate to work?

The energy of a runaway truck can be converted into work. Work is the application of a force over a distance, and in the case of a runaway truck, the force is applied by the brakes to slow down or stop the truck. The energy of the truck is used to perform this work.

5. What are the dangers of a runaway truck?

A runaway truck can be extremely dangerous, not only for the truck driver but also for other drivers and pedestrians. It can cause accidents, damage to property, and even loss of life. It is essential to take precautions to prevent runaway trucks and to have emergency plans in place in case one does occur.