Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field

In summary, the person is having trouble with the Rund Trauman Identity and is trying to show invariance of the Lagrangian under a transformation. They explain the process of using the chain rule to express the partial derivatives in terms of the primed coordinates and using the given transformation to simplify the expression and show that the right-hand side is equal to 0.
Kiwi_Dave
I have been having trouble with a bunch of examples to do with the Rund Trauman Identity.

I have the identity in this form/notation:

[tex]\frac {\partial L}{\partial q^ \mu}\zeta ^\mu+p_\mu \dot \zeta^\mu+\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}\tau-H \dot \tau=\frac{dF}{dt}[/tex]

Now for the electromagnitism problem I have the Lagrangian:

[tex]L=\frac12 m \underline{\dot r}^2+q \underline v \cdot \underline A -qV[/tex]

I wish to test for invariance under the transformation:

[tex]t'=t(1+\epsilon)[/tex] [tex]x^{\mu'}=x^{\mu}(1+\frac12 \epsilon)[/tex]

Now the electric scalar potential and the magnetic scalar potential are the bits that are giving me trouble. If I consider just the scalar potential and I use spherical coordinates then I get:

[tex]\frac {\partial qV}{\partial r}\frac r2+\frac{\partial qV}{\partial t}t=[/tex]

From here I am stuck. Perhaps I need to show that this is equal to the derivative of a function of time, and my calculus just isn't good enough. Or maybe I need to add the terms for the magnetic vector potential and then (somehow) use one of Maxwells equations to show that the result is zero?

In any case I have tried many of these things and am stuck. Can someone suggest an approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
To show the invariance of the Lagrangian under the transformation, you can use the chain rule to express the partial derivatives in terms of the primed coordinates. For example, for $V$, you have \begin{equation*}\frac{\partial V}{\partial r'} = \frac{\partial V}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial r'} + \frac{\partial V}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial r'}.\end{equation*}Now you can plug these into your expression and simplify it using the transformation you gave. You should be able to show that the right-hand side of your equation is equal to 0.

1. What is the Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field?

The Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field is a mathematical representation of the electromagnetic field that is used in general relativity. It is based on the Rund-Trautman identity, which is a geometric identity that relates the electromagnetic field to the Weyl tensor.

2. Who developed the Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field?

The Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field was developed by Hans-Jürgen Rund and Alfred Schild Trautman in the 1960s. They were both prominent mathematicians and physicists who made significant contributions to the field of general relativity.

3. What is the significance of the Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field?

The Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field is significant because it provides a way to describe the electromagnetic field in the framework of general relativity. This is important for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic fields in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as those near black holes.

4. How is the Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field used in research?

The Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field is used in research to study the behavior of electromagnetic fields in the context of general relativity. It is also used in theoretical studies of black holes and other astrophysical phenomena.

5. Are there any applications of the Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field?

While the Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field is primarily used in theoretical research, it also has practical applications. It has been used in the study of gravitational waves and in developing new mathematical methods for analyzing the behavior of electromagnetic fields in curved spacetime.