1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rund-Trautman Identity Electromagnetic Field

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    I have been having trouble with a bunch of examples to do with the Rund Trauman Identity.

I have the identity in this form/notation:

[tex]\frac {\partial L}{\partial q^ \mu}\zeta ^\mu+p_\mu \dot \zeta^\mu+\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}\tau-H \dot \tau=\frac{dF}{dt}[/tex]

Now for the electromagnitism problem I have the Lagrangian:

[tex]L=\frac12 m \underline{\dot r}^2+q \underline v \cdot \underline A -qV[/tex]

I wish to test for invariance under the transformation:

[tex]t'=t(1+\epsilon)[/tex] [tex]x^{\mu'}=x^{\mu}(1+\frac12 \epsilon)[/tex]

Now the electric scalar potential and the magnetic scalar potential are the bits that are giving me trouble. If I consider just the scalar potential and I use spherical coordinates then I get:

[tex]\frac {\partial qV}{\partial r}\frac r2+\frac{\partial qV}{\partial t}t=[/tex]

From here I am stuck. Perhaps I need to show that this is equal to the derivative of a function of time, and my calculus just isn't good enough. Or maybe I need to add the terms for the magnetic vector potential and then (somehow) use one of Maxwells equations to show that the result is zero?

In any case I have tried many of these things and am stuck. Can someone suggest an approach?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted