Analyzing Pole Effects on Interpolated Runge Function

In summary, the conversation discussed interpolation of a Runge function on uniformly spaced points, with a focus on how the poles at -i and i contribute to its oscillation. The comparison between Runge and exp(-10x^2) on the same set of points was also mentioned, highlighting the large oscillation of the polynomial at the end points of the interval. The concept of Taylor series and its relation to interpolation was brought up as well.
leon1127
My teacher asked a very interesting question. so given a runge function 1/(1+x^2) and i interpolate it on uniformly spaced point in the inteval -1 and 1 by p_n(x)
How does the pole -i and i contribute to the oscillation of p_n(x)? I never thought pole would come into play.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean by "interpolate it ... by p_n(x)". A polynomial at n points?

Slightly different but you might think about this: The Taylor's series for 1/(1+x2), around x=0, has "radius of convergence" equal to 1 precisely because it has poles at i and -i. In the complex plane, the radius of convergence really is a "radius". It can't go beyond i or -i, both at distance 1 from 0, because they are poles.

so i have x0 = {-1, -0.9, -0.8,..., 0.9, 1} equidistant point. Then by lagrange polynomial there exists a polynomial, degree <= cardinal[x0] - 1, that will interpolate the ordered pair (x0, f(x0)}.

more specifially my teacher showed the comparison between runge(x) and exp(-10x^2) on the same set of point. The polynomial has very large oscillation near the end point of the interval. I can see how taylor diverges but now we are interpolating n+1 point instead of its derivative.. so i don't know.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of analyzing pole effects on interpolated Runge functions?

The purpose of this analysis is to understand how the presence of poles, or singularities, in a function can affect the accuracy of interpolated values. This can provide valuable insight into the limitations and potential errors in interpolation methods.

2. How are poles typically represented in mathematical functions?

Poles are typically represented as points where the function becomes infinite or undefined. This can occur when the denominator of a fraction becomes zero, or when there is a discontinuity in the function.

3. What is the Runge phenomenon?

The Runge phenomenon refers to the oscillations and inaccuracies that can occur when interpolating a function with equidistant nodes, such as equally spaced data points. This is particularly evident in the case of the Runge function, which is a polynomial function with a high degree of oscillation.

4. How does the presence of poles affect the Runge phenomenon?

The presence of poles can exacerbate the Runge phenomenon, as the interpolation method may struggle to accurately capture the behavior of the function near the poles. This can lead to larger errors and oscillations in the interpolated values.

5. What are some common interpolation methods used for analyzing pole effects on Runge functions?

Some common interpolation methods include Lagrange interpolation, Newton interpolation, and spline interpolation. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method may depend on the specific function being analyzed and the location of its poles.