Exploring the Errors of RK4 Method for y' = -2y + x, y(0) = 1

In summary: In this case, x1 = 0.1, y1 = 0.905, and h = 0.1. Plugging these values into the formula, we get y2 = 0.8109.e. The global truncation error for the RK4 method is given by the formula GTE = (1/
musicmar

Homework Statement

Consider the initial value problem y' = -2y + x, y(0) = 1
The analytical solution is y(x) = (1/2)x2-(1/4) + (5/4)e-2x

a. Approximate y(0.1) using one step and the RK4 method.
b. Find a bound for the local truncation error in y1.
c. Compare the error in y1 with the error bound.
d. Approximate y(0.1) using two steps and the RK4 method.
e. Verify that the global truncation error for the RK4 method is O(h4) by comparing the errors in parts (a) and (d).

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I know how to approximate y(0.1). I don't have time to write out my work now. I'll be back in about an hour and can do it then.

Can someone please help me understand the errors of the RK4 method? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. The RK4 method is a numerical method used to approximate solutions to initial value problems. It is important to understand the errors involved in this method in order to accurately interpret the results.

a. To approximate y(0.1) using one step and the RK4 method, we can use the formula y1 = y0 + (1/6)(k1 + 2k2 + 2k3 + k4), where k1 = hf(x0, y0), k2 = hf(x0 + h/2, y0 + k1/2), k3 = hf(x0 + h/2, y0 + k2/2), and k4 = hf(x0 + h, y0 + k3). In this case, y0 = 1, x0 = 0, and h = 0.1. Plugging these values into the formula, we get y1 = 0.905.

b. The local truncation error in y1 is given by the formula LTE = (1/720)(f''''(x0, y0)h^5), where f'''' is the fourth derivative of the function f(x,y). In this case, f'''' = 2, x0 = 0, y0 = 1, and h = 0.1. Therefore, the bound for the local truncation error is LTE = (1/720)(2)(0.1)^5 = 2.7778 x 10^-7.

c. To compare the error in y1 with the error bound, we can calculate the actual error using the analytical solution y(x) = (1/2)x^2 - (1/4) + (5/4)e^-2x. Plugging in x = 0.1, we get y(0.1) = 0.9048. Therefore, the error in y1 is 0.9048 - 0.905 = 0.0002, which is much larger than the local truncation error bound of 2.7778 x 10^-7. This indicates that the RK4 method has a relatively large error in this case.

d. To approximate y(0.1) using two steps and the RK4 method, we can use the formula y2 = y1 + (1/6)(k

1. What is the RK4 method?

The RK4 method, also known as the Runge-Kutta method, is a numerical method used to approximate the solutions to ordinary differential equations. It is a fourth-order method, meaning it is more accurate than other lower-order methods such as Euler's method.

2. How does RK4 method work?

The RK4 method works by using a weighted average of four different slopes at different points to approximate the solution to a differential equation. These slopes are calculated using a specific formula and are then combined to estimate the value of the function at the next point in the interval.

3. What is the equation for the RK4 method?

The equation for the RK4 method is yn+1 = yn + (1/6)(k1 + 2k2 + 2k3 + k4), where k1, k2, k3, and k4 are the four different slopes calculated at different points using the given differential equation.

4. What are the sources of error in the RK4 method?

There are several sources of error in the RK4 method, including truncation error, round-off error, and step size error. Truncation error refers to the error introduced by using a finite number of terms in the approximation formula. Round-off error occurs due to the limited precision of the computer's calculations. Step size error refers to the error introduced by choosing a step size that is too large or too small.

5. How can the errors of RK4 method be minimized?

To minimize the errors of the RK4 method, one can choose a smaller step size, which will reduce the step size error. Additionally, using a higher-order method, such as the RK5 method, can also help reduce the errors. It is also important to check for the convergence of the method and make sure that the results are consistent and accurate.