Calculating Distance of Runners from Flagpole When Paths Cross

• Thread starter alexistheman
  • Start date
In summary, Runner A and Runner B are initially on opposite sides of a flagpole, with Runner A 5.6 km west and Runner B 4.2 km east. They are both running with constant velocities of 8.7 km/h and 7.4 km/h respectively, in opposite directions. After 0.608695652 hours, their paths will cross and they will both be 5.29565213 km away from the flagpole.
alexistheman
Runner A is initially 5.6 km west of a flagpole
and is running with a constant velocity of
8.7 km/h due east. Runner B is initially 4.2
km east of the flagpole and is running with a
constant velocity of 7.4 km/h due west.

How far are the runners from the flagpole
when their paths cross? Answer in units of
km.

How do i even start this, I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing the scenario is always a good place to start.
R1------------------------------F-------------------------R2
Now you're looking for when R1 and R2 pass each other. That means what?

displacement by chance?

Like i drew it out, but when i do i still don't know how to set it all up. I am so stumped. :(

I got .3 KM but it says its wrong.. ugh

The runners will pass each other. This would happen after t hours. So that means that after t hours both runners will be at the same spot (not the same distance ran).
-Basically, at some time t, the two runners x position will be equal.

8.7 km/h + 7.4 km/h = 4.7 km + 5.6 km

16.1 km/h = 9.8 km

t = 9.8 km / 16.1

t=.608695652

8.7 * .608695652 = 5.29565213

5.6 - 5.29565213 = .30434782

your answer is .30434782 buddy

Hm, confusing. lol. I set it up and got 5.29 but ugh wouldn't it be .31

alexistheman said:
Hm, confusing. lol. I set it up and got 5.29 but ugh wouldn't it be .31
Why don't you post what you did.

Ugh it wanted the full number, thanks ~.~

it was operator and stupid website error lol

happens..i had trouble on this one early tonight but i figured it out..

well thanks man, heh.

no prob.

What is the difference between Runner A and Runner B?

Runner A and Runner B are two different individuals with their own unique characteristics and abilities. While Runner A may have a faster sprint speed, Runner B may have better endurance. It is important to note that each runner's strengths and weaknesses may vary and cannot be generalized.

Which runner is more likely to win a marathon?

It is difficult to determine which runner is more likely to win a marathon as it depends on various factors such as training, nutrition, and race strategy. Runner A may have a faster sprint speed, but Runner B's endurance may help them maintain a consistent pace throughout the race. Ultimately, the winner of a marathon will depend on their individual performance on race day.

Can Runner A and Runner B be accurately compared?

Runner A and Runner B cannot be accurately compared as they are two different individuals with their own unique abilities. While they may compete against each other in a race, it is important to recognize that each runner has their own strengths and weaknesses and should be evaluated on their individual performance.

How does the weather affect Runner A and Runner B's performance?

The weather can have a significant impact on a runner's performance, including Runner A and Runner B. Extreme temperatures, humidity, and wind can all affect a runner's speed and endurance. Runner A may have an advantage in cooler temperatures while Runner B may perform better in warmer conditions. It is important for both runners to adjust their strategies and be aware of how the weather may affect their performance.

Is one runner more genetically gifted than the other?

It is impossible to determine if one runner is genetically gifted than the other as genetic factors can vary greatly among individuals. While genetics may play a role in an individual's athletic abilities, factors such as training, nutrition, and determination can also greatly impact a runner's performance. It is important to recognize that both Runner A and Runner B have their own unique genetic makeup and should not be compared solely based on genetics.