1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Runner on a turntable

1. Apr 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 55 kg runner runs around the edge of a horizontal turntable mounted on a vertical, frictionless axis through its center. The runner's velocity relative to the earth has magnitude of 3.1 m/s. The turntable is rotating in the opposite direction with an angular velocity of magnitude 0.20 rad/s relative to the earth. The radius of the turntable is 3.0 m, and its moment of inertia about the axis of rotation is 120 kg-m2. Find the final angular velocity of the turntable if the runner slows to a walk in such a way that she is at rest relative to the earth.

2. Relevant equations
    ΔL = 0
    L1 = L2

3. The attempt at a solution
    This was ripped off from a problem in the book that asked for "the final angular velocity of the system if the runner comes to rest relative to the turntable," which I did just that, but I just noticed that this problem's last sentence is a different variation (final angular velocity of the turntable if the runner slows to a walk in such a way that she is at rest relative to the earth.")
    Here is what I did - should I change anything at the end?
    Vjvyyof.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your working is not easy to read (posting images is for diagrams and printed/typed matter) and you do not define your variables, which makes it hard to follow.
    I get a different answer.

4. Apr 10, 2016 #3
    Well T stands for turntable and R stands for runner. L1 was the initial and L2 was the final. L1 consisted of the angular momentums of both the turntable and runner. I treated them as a system at the end having the same angular velocity.

5. Apr 10, 2016 #4
    Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

6. Apr 10, 2016 #5
    I got a new answer of -4.06 rad/s.

7. Apr 10, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted