Is Web-Based Accounting With PHP and JavaScript the Way to Go?

• Thread starter Omid
  • Start date
In summary, through a PHP page, we can execute a binary on a client running windows. Windows filesystem object looks good but it only manipulates text files. No answers?!
Omid
Through a PHP page, how can we execute a binary (.exe) on a client runnig windows?
Windows filesystem object looks good but it only manipulates text files.

Computer science news on Phys.org
No answers?!

You mean there's no Activex or Java applet which be able to execute a binary file?

I don't know if you can, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.. potential security risk!

Omid said:
Through a PHP page, how can we execute a binary (.exe) on a client runnig windows?
Windows filesystem object looks good but it only manipulates text files.

I don't think you can run any old exe, that would impose a secuirty risk we can't not even begin to imagine. But Java does classify its code in security segments. You can run scripts, java apps, and if you allow, ActiveX controls. All of which (ecxept the scripts) are binary files. Is this what you were referring too?

We have a web based accounting system which is on a server in the Internet. Our clients are connected to that server via Internet.
Sometimes we need to launch a utility, like the scanner manager, for the user. i.e when the user pushes "Scan" botton in our page in MS internet explorer we want to launch "scan.exe" for the user on his machin.
Windows scripting Host has so many good functions for manipulating files but they just handle .txt files. What shall we do? Ask the user to launch the scan.exe by double clicking on it? That looks fairly good but my boss wants me not to bother the users :((

I think your are over-developing this accounting system. Let the person use whatever scanning program they want to use to scan local images. Then just have a simple upload form to get the file on the server. If I was to develop this system I would avoid executing remote programs because that could easily turn into a security risk. Your also limiting what browser the person can use.

This is probably NOT a good idea... but I think
on a webpage, this will launch notepad on the client machine running Windows. (Of course, the path must be known ahead of time.)
Code:
<a href="file:///D:/WINNT/system32/notepad.exe">notepad</a>
As dduardo has repeately said, this is a security risk. Imagine all of the virii and spyware that could invade the client (especially if the client is tricked into executing something).

As eNathan suggested, you could try to write something in java. Read the section called "Remote scanning" from http://www.programmersheaven.com/2/Java-Twain-image-acquisition .
http://www.gnome.sk/Twain/tutorial/remote.html
Since your application appears to be for commercial purposes, you need to check if you can include this in your package.
http://www.javaworld.com/javaforums/showthreaded.php?&Board=DeviceProgramming&Number=8862

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that our (damn) system is well known for PF people let's take a deeper look at it.
Nowdays the most important question to me is this: Are we heading the right direction?
Is it a good idea to develope a web based accounting system, in pure PHP and javascript, ...?
Have you ever seen such an application working on the web?
In Iran I haven't seen any, what about other countries?
You know, here nobody gives even one penny to Microsoft or... Here the CopyLeft rules. Why don't we use .NET or JBuilder? My boss is strongly against that idea. I mean developing client side (windows based) applications which work on the clients and interact at certain times thruogh Internet to have nescessary interactions and updating our databases.
I've heard that ADO.NET is made for that purpose. What do you suggest? Will ADO.NET make it easier to develope the application? or the current PHP based work is better?
Any advice?

1. Can I run a .exe on clients without their knowledge or permission?

No, running a .exe on clients without their knowledge or permission would be considered unethical and potentially illegal. Clients should always be informed and given the choice to run any executable files on their system.

2. How can I ensure the .exe file I am running on clients is safe and not malicious?

Before running any .exe file on clients, it is important to scan it with a reputable antivirus software. You can also check the source of the .exe file and its digital signature to verify its authenticity.

3. Are there any potential risks to clients when running a .exe file?

Running a .exe file can potentially expose clients to security risks, such as viruses, malware, or spyware. It is important to only run .exe files from trusted sources and to regularly update antivirus software.

4. Can I customize the .exe file for different clients?

Yes, it is possible to customize the .exe file for different clients, such as including specific settings or features based on their needs. However, this should only be done with the client's knowledge and consent.

5. Is it possible to run a .exe file on clients with different operating systems?

It depends on the compatibility of the .exe file with different operating systems. Some .exe files may only be compatible with specific operating systems and may not run on others. It is important to check the system requirements of the .exe file before attempting to run it on clients.