1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Running a car on gasoline and hydrogen - the Volvo 740

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    Now this is not a new idea.
    I had a thought about running my car on both hydrogen and gasoline.
    I bought a cheap car with an engine of good quality. Volvo 740. Mass-produced junk in other words.

I thought that if I built a vessel on the engine manifold. The vessel to contain water and it will be late. It will act as a nuclear power plant where the hot steam in the pressure in the vessel, will spin a turbine. But the difference is the heat coming from the manifold and not uranium.
    I do not lose energy from the engine. I take out the heat energy from the engine. Whatever I do, I will not get the engine to take more gasoline.

The turbine will later run a generator that creates about 12 volts.
    The 12 volts will split the watermolecules into oxygen and hydrogen in an electrolyte.
    The electrolyte should be in a vessel in the Volvo's luggage.

Furthermore, only the hydrogen going to the intake pipe of the engine.

My question:
    First: How much energy do I need to split watermolecules?
    Second: Is there a material that does not oxidize? Stainless steel rusts up after a few hours.
    Third: What is the area of the anode and cathode do I need for me to produce much hydrogen?
    Fourth: Will the hydrogen bring down gasoline consumption?

I have to produce more gas than this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Yix1CJBXw&feature=related

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted