Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Running a car on gasoline and hydrogen - the Volvo 740

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    Now this is not a new idea.
    I had a thought about running my car on both hydrogen and gasoline.
    I bought a cheap car with an engine of good quality. Volvo 740. Mass-produced junk in other words.

I thought that if I built a vessel on the engine manifold. The vessel to contain water and it will be late. It will act as a nuclear power plant where the hot steam in the pressure in the vessel, will spin a turbine. But the difference is the heat coming from the manifold and not uranium.
    I do not lose energy from the engine. I take out the heat energy from the engine. Whatever I do, I will not get the engine to take more gasoline.

The turbine will later run a generator that creates about 12 volts.
    The 12 volts will split the watermolecules into oxygen and hydrogen in an electrolyte.
    The electrolyte should be in a vessel in the Volvo's luggage.

Furthermore, only the hydrogen going to the intake pipe of the engine.

My question:
    First: How much energy do I need to split watermolecules?
    Second: Is there a material that does not oxidize? Stainless steel rusts up after a few hours.
    Third: What is the area of the anode and cathode do I need for me to produce much hydrogen?
    Fourth: Will the hydrogen bring down gasoline consumption?

I have to produce more gas than this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Yix1CJBXw&feature=related

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted