How can rounding errors affect calculations in stopping distance?

In summary, this conversation discusses how to solve problems involving the driving of a car. Problems 1-3 ask how far away from a stoplight a car can be without breaking, and how long it will take to stop. Problem 4 asks how long it will take for a car to go through a red light at a constant speed. Finally, problem 5 asks how many seconds the "time for yellow" at a stoplight must be for the car to be able to just get through the light.
Bellahhhh
Homework Statement
I was given this assignment today and I seriously don’t understand these questions
Relevant Equations
When driving a car, a very real problem is presented by driving a little too fast. It can be impossible to get in the red. For these calculations two options will be considered. The first is to keep going at the same speed and the second is as fast as possible. A third option which involves accelerating through the intersection, and it is not safe to use. To simplify these calculations, reaction time will be ignored.

Mr. G is driving a car at 25m / s on a snowy road. With a traffic light that has a "time for yellow" of 3.0 s, how Far away from the light could the car be without breaking?
It has a maximum acceleration of -3.0 m/s^2 how many seconds will it be required to stop the car?
What is the average velocity of the car during this time that it is stopping in problem 2, and how does it go during this time?
Between what distances from the stop light will the car in a problem 2 have “no options” and run through the red light no matter what the driver does?Draw a sketch.
How many seconds would the "time for yellow" have to be for the car to be able to just get through the light at the constant velocity from the minimum stopping distance fund in problem 3?
I did the first three questions and found that the ignition distance without breaking would be 75 m, it would take 8.3 seconds to stop the car with a maximum acceleration of -3.0 m/s^2 and you would go 103,75 m if so.

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 104.17 (104 + 1/6) m for the stopping distance.

Likes Delta2
Hello @Bellahhhh,

Welcome to PF! :welcome:

Bellahhhh said:
Homework Statement: I was given this assignment today and I seriously don’t understand these questions
Homework Equations: When driving a car, a very real problem is presented by driving a little too fast. It can be impossible to get in the red. For these calculations two options will be considered. The first is to keep going at the same speed and the second is as fast as possible. A third option which involves accelerating through the intersection, and it is not safe to use. To simplify these calculations, reaction time will be ignored.

Mr. G is driving a car at 25m / s on a snowy road. With a traffic light that has a "time for yellow" of 3.0 s, how Far away from the light could the car be without breaking?
It has a maximum acceleration of -3.0 m/s^2 how many seconds will it be required to stop the car?
What is the average velocity of the car during this time that it is stopping in problem 2, and how does it go during this time?
Between what distances from the stop light will the car in a problem 2 have “no options” and run through the red light no matter what the driver does?Draw a sketch.
How many seconds would the "time for yellow" have to be for the car to be able to just get through the light at the constant velocity from the minimum stopping distance fund in problem 3?
In the future, please use the provided template, show your relevant equations/formulae, and show your work.

By the way, I think you mean "braking," rather than "breaking."

I did the first three questions and found that the ignition distance without breaking would be 75 m, it would take 8.3 seconds to stop the car with a maximum acceleration of -3.0 m/s^2
Again, please show your work and the relevant equations. Also you might want to be careful about your precision (significant digits). Rounding errors that occur early on can propagate in later calculations.

and you would go 103,75 m if so.
I think one of your rounding errors might have propagated to this answer. Try that calculation again paying more attention to precision.

Likes jim mcnamara
I concur that it seems you have rounding errors, but in particular that these have arisen by using the rounded numerical values of intermediate answers. Namely, you found the time to stop as 25/3, rounded to 8.3, and the average speed as 25/2=12.5, then multiplied these together.
A better process is to work entirely symbolically, only plugging in numbers to produce the answers requested. E.g. time to stop =v/a, average speed =v/2, distance covered =(v/a)(v/2)=v2/(2a)=625/6, rounded to 104.

Likes collinsmark and PeroK

1. What are the potential consequences of running a yellow light?

Running a yellow light can result in a traffic violation and a fine, as well as potential accidents and injuries to yourself and others. It can also lead to increased insurance premiums and points on your driving record.

2. Is it illegal to run a yellow light?

It depends on the specific laws in your state or country. In some places, running a yellow light may be considered a traffic violation and result in a fine, while in others it may be allowed as long as you enter the intersection before the light turns red.

3. How can I determine if I have enough time to safely stop at a yellow light?

You can estimate your stopping distance by considering your speed, reaction time, and the conditions of the road. It is generally recommended to stop at a yellow light unless you are unable to do so safely.

4. Can I run a yellow light if there are no other cars around?

Even if there are no other cars around, it is still important to follow traffic laws and signals. Running a yellow light can lead to accidents and put yourself and others at risk.

5. Are there any instances where it is acceptable to run a yellow light?

In some cases, such as emergency situations or when directed by a police officer, it may be necessary to run a yellow light. However, it is always best to err on the side of caution and follow traffic laws to ensure the safety of yourself and others on the road.