Run SQL File: Free Programs to Execute and Query Output

In summary, the SQL file that you are studying requires you to run it as a query more than once. There are a few different ways to run it, but the most common option is to use Microsoft's SQL server. If you want to use the results from the first query as inputs to the second, you need to download and install MySQL Community server.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I have an .sql file; written as a set of commands, as a general text file,
with a .sql extension. I need to execute it in order to get some tables as
output, and then run some queries on these tables.
Are there some free programs to run/execute the file? I got some hits on
a search suggesting some sort of free MySQL file, but I have found nothing.
Thanks for any ideas.

Computer science news on Phys.org
the mysql server itself is what runs these files.

mysql -u yourusername -p yourpassword yourschemal < textfile.sql

Likes WWGD
What have you been using to run the SQL code that you've been studying for the past several weeks?

WWGD said:
So I guess I download Microsoft's SQL server for free

Another option is the MySQL Community server:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/

I use it on Mac OS, and it's very popular on Linux, but I see there's also a Windows installer.

Last edited:
Likes Silicon Waffle and WWGD
Thank you all, I think I realized where my confusion was; it seems I am having trouble since I have executed (run) the
file as a query (in SQL 2014) more than once. First time is fine, but I seem to be having trouble running the same initial file as a query more than
once.

Probably this is because whatever the SQL program does, it is changing the database file/s itself in some way.
It is designed to process an expected set of data and process it, job done.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Seems to be some assumptions that need a tune-up.
SQL is arbitrarily divided into flavors:
Data definition language DDL - examples CREATE, ALTER, DROP
Data manipulation Langauge DML - examples SELECT UPDATE DELETE INSERT
Data control language DCL - examples GRANT

You can rerun a SQL file DML-only practically forever. Identical file, many times, with some exceptions about data integrity violations.
If you rerun a DML-containing file with commands like CREATE you get errors. ALTER - if it is a different statement each time - is okay.
If you rerun DCL it is usually not going to break stuff, but is a crummy idea except in special cricumstances.

Based on your comment it looks like your SQL has DDL in it. Do not rerun it adhoc like that.

Yeah, if you are trying to create something, you need to wrap it in an IF EXISTS, most sql files are not meant to be run more than once.

jim mcnamara said:
Seems to be some assumptions that need a tune-up.
SQL is arbitrarily divided into flavors:
Data definition language DDL - examples CREATE, ALTER, DROP
Data manipulation Langauge DML - examples SELECT UPDATE DELETE INSERT
Data control language DCL - examples GRANT

You can rerun a SQL file DML-only practically forever. Identical file, many times, with some exceptions about data integrity violations.
If you rerun a DML-containing file with commands like CREATE you get errors. ALTER - if it is a different statement each time - is okay.
If you rerun DCL it is usually not going to break stuff, but is a crummy idea except in special cricumstances.

Based on your comment it looks like your SQL has DDL in it. Do not rerun it adhoc like that.

Thank you. The SQL I am running lives in a virtual machine. Would there be problems running/executing the same file in different VMs?

The problem is the database content. Re-running DDL can trash an existing schema. Generally you have a single copy of a db on a server. Then you have physically or virtually separate multiple clients running SQL scripts. AFTER the initial DDL run to create the on DB for everybody to use.

Some db's are distributed to local machines after they are built. Code library software uses db technology sometimes. In this case one DB instance per user. But the schema and some seed data exist on the distribution.

There is definitely some sort of disconnect here - could be on my side. If you would, please give us a couple of answers:
1. what is the application requirement the DB meets? (Learn to play DBA, track car repairs, track entries in a collection - are the kind of answer we need here)
2. I gather you understand programming but not relational databases and their real world uses. Correct?

jim mcnamara said:
The problem is the database content. Re-running DDL can trash an existing schema. Generally you have a single copy of a db on a server. Then you have physically or virtually separate multiple clients running SQL scripts. AFTER the initial DDL run to create the on DB for everybody to use.

Some db's are distributed to local machines after they are built. Code library software uses db technology sometimes. In this case one DB instance per user. But the schema and some seed data exist on the distribution.

There is definitely some sort of disconnect here - could be on my side. If you would, please give us a couple of answers:
1. what is the application requirement the DB meets? (Learn to play DBA, track car repairs, track entries in a collection - are the kind of answer we need here)
2. I gather you understand programming but not relational databases and their real world uses. Correct?

It is more of my having the bad habit of asking simple or poorly-phrased questions and then figuring them out right after I have asked them. I am trying to break it and just think things through carefully and avoid asking poor-quality questions -- thanks for your patience.

Sorry, I don't mean to belittle the feedback, which has been very helpful, I meant that I do not always stop to think things through as I should.
There is also the fact that even if/when I know or should know the answer, I learn new things from the feedback, and by asking alone and seeing the
answer the material is reinforced and I learn some new things at the same time, and dispel some misconceptions. Thanks to all again.

1. What is "Run SQL File" and what does it do?

"Run SQL File" is a free program that allows users to execute and query SQL files. It can be used to run scripts, extract data, and perform other SQL operations on a database. It is commonly used by developers and database administrators to manage and manipulate data.

2. Is "Run SQL File" compatible with all databases?

Yes, "Run SQL File" is compatible with most popular databases such as MySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, and PostgreSQL. It supports standard SQL syntax and can be used with any database that follows the SQL standard.

3. Can I schedule SQL files to run automatically using "Run SQL File"?

Yes, "Run SQL File" offers the option to schedule SQL files to run at a specified time and frequency. This feature is useful for automating repetitive tasks and ensuring that important SQL operations are executed on time.

4. Is "Run SQL File" a secure program to use?

Yes, "Run SQL File" is a secure program to use. It does not store any sensitive information and follows industry-standard encryption protocols to protect data. It also allows users to set up secure connections to databases using SSH or SSL for added security.

5. Can I customize the output of SQL queries using "Run SQL File"?

Yes, "Run SQL File" offers various options for customizing the output of SQL queries. Users can choose the format of the output, specify column headers, and even export the results to different file formats, such as CSV or Excel.